What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to try using a 4-1/2" cutoff wheel & a Sawzall..... and patience. The plasma cutter is plan B if there's a spot I can't reach with either. The D-side has lots of clearance to the motor (due to the offset towards the P-side for 4wd). Those brake hardlines can be twisted up and away from the bucket, but that's the most critical thing.

Attachments

• 20231114_081840.jpg
    20231114_081840.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 14

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The (silver) ABS controller is attached to the black steel frame bracket by a rivet on the bottom, (not visible on the diagram), so you can't slide the controller away from the bucket without bending the lines up to clear the frame.

Attachments

• 20231114_073939.jpg
    20231114_073939.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230924-151001_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924-151001_Gallery.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove from Atlanta to Tampa, and was hearing a strange sound from the rear...
Thanks to the FRF I was able to diagnose the problem as a rear pinion gear.
After watching a YouTube videos on how to fix the problem, I gave up doing it myself half way thru the video, NOPE, too much for me.

This was the report from the shop:
Verified concern. Rear diff bearing making noise. Removed rear end cover to find bearing pitted and worn. Needs all rear diff bearings.
Rear pinion was stuck in bearing making it impossible to get out without damaging the pinion. Will need ring and pinion.
Left rear wheel bearing shattered upon removal. Needs rear axle bearing replaced.
Replace pinion, carrier, and axle bearings. Replaced pinion seal, and both wheel seals.

Replaced rear differential ring and pinion.

I had about 125K when this happened. I do have +3 Deavers and Geiser springs, and towed about 4K miles, which may have contributed to the wear.
Also had transmission fluid/filter changed. The grand total was almost $5K. I know, too much, but I needed it back before Thanksgiving, and they delivered.

The good news is I asked about the warranty, and they said it's warrantied for life of the vehicle. All is running smoothly now.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Drove from Atlanta to Tampa, and was hearing a strange sound from the rear...
Thanks to the FRF I was able to diagnose the problem as a rear pinion gear.
After watching a YouTube videos on how to fix the problem, I gave up doing it myself half way thru the video, NOPE, too much for me.

This was the report from the shop:
Verified concern. Rear diff bearing making noise. Removed rear end cover to find bearing pitted and worn. Needs all rear diff bearings.
Rear pinion was stuck in bearing making it impossible to get out without damaging the pinion. Will need ring and pinion.
Left rear wheel bearing shattered upon removal. Needs rear axle bearing replaced.
Replace pinion, carrier, and axle bearings. Replaced pinion seal, and both wheel seals.

Replaced rear differential ring and pinion.

I had about 125K when this happened. I do have +3 Deavers and Geiser springs, and towed about 4K miles, which may have contributed to the wear.
Also had transmission fluid/filter changed. The grand total was almost $5K. I know, too much, but I needed it back before Thanksgiving, and they delivered.

The good news is I asked about the warranty, and they said it's warrantied for life of the vehicle. All is running smoothly now.
If the job was done right and you have no issues and the peace of mind you didn't pay too much.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had about 125K when this happened. I do have +3 Deavers and Geiser springs, and towed about 4K miles, which may have contributed to the wear. Also had transmission fluid/filter changed. The grand total was almost $5K. I know, too much, but I needed it back before Thanksgiving, and they delivered.
I'm gonna tell you this is exactly what I was told caused my pinion failure.. My pinion bearing failed after driving cross country, towing the entire time. Oh and I had new leafs put in about halfway during the drive. I originally paid about 3k to get it done and then a noise reappeared and it was redone under warranty, almost 5k on the warranty receipt. Everything in the axle was replaced. EVERYTHING.

@FordTechOne also pointed out in another thread that any change of pinion angle can increase the risk of pinion bearing failure, you add towing to it? you're gonna pay for it :(

Are Raptor bearings, seals, and the R&P the same as mere mortal F150 parts, or did the dreaded Raptor Tax apply?
Regular Ford 9.75. The tech who did mine said it was cheaper than the 8.8/super 8.8 on a lot of F150s, but not by much. The labor itself is all the same.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm only able to drill the holes and then rattle can the frame, because they included hardware that isn't shanked correctly. WTF, it's not as if Raptor front suspension hardware will ever be put to the test.

Back in the 1980's Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca admitted that their QC was so bad that "the customers do the final testing". Well, now I know how they felt.

Attachments

• 20231124_083837.jpg
    20231124_083837.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231124_083749.jpg
    20231124_083749.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 22