What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the rear bumper off to prep for the Mazzulla thats going on this week.

IMG_20200822_094743.jpg

Spare in the bed for now and zip tied the plate and light on haha

Capture.PNG

Was shocked to see the stock leaf bushings all cracked after 57K miles. Who makes a replacement bushing kit? Prothane or Energy Suspension?

IMG_20200822_100913.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never liked those hitch racks. Too much extended (left & right) leverage focused on that 2" of the hitch at the center. The receiver and the hitch is not usually a tight fit, so there is a lot shaking and jiggling go on that could fatigue the welds and adjacent metal and end up in failure. It could all end up in a real "goat rope" if it came undone.

I used them when I was younger. I had an Explorer Sport Trac and that was how I got my stand up into the water and it wasn't too sketchy. The amount of legwork increase exponentially if I get a trailer... plus if I get a trailer why not just get one of those newfangled 300hp Supercharged fullsizes anyways?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used them when I was younger. I had an Explorer Sport Trac and that was how I got my stand up into the water and it wasn't too sketchy. The amount of legwork increase exponentially if I get a trailer... plus if I get a trailer why not just get one of those newfangled 300hp Supercharged fullsizes anyways?

I wassn't referring to loading and unloading. It'd be a real rodeo if there was a weld or metal failure on the interstate or other roadway. Reads like you are justifying getting it. Why ask us?

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wassn't referring to loading and unloading. It'd be a real rodeo if there was a weld or metal failure on the interstate or other roadway. Reads like you are justifying getting it. Why ask us?

His question was about sag and whether new springs would help, not weld fatigue. Reads like you are answering a question that wasn't asked. Why not focus on what he's asking?

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was saying that I had used that exact same setup for about 2 years without issue, the question was more along the lines of "can I make an excuse to upgrade the suspension" than is this setup safe. I understand the risks associated with that setup, some people who have larger receivers use a sleeve and its more snug than a normal 2" hitch... but I do expect it to be more well built than an off the shelf bike holder. Same could be said for a trailer giving away on the highway too... and with the state of some of these trailers which have been used in salt water here I tend to stay away.

No longer directly Raptor related but if I get a fullsize it would stay on the trailer and I'd have to find a spot to store that... if I get a standup and use a hitch mount I can put it on a tray, and it would easily fit in the storage unit I already have. Just kind of a "how much money do I really want to spend" thought aloud... probably falling on deaf ears on a forum full of 60 and 70k trucks with upwards of 10k worth of mods.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His question was about sag and whether new springs would help, not weld fatigue. Reads like you are answering a question that wasn't asked. Why not focus on what he's asking?

Ok, a legitimate post.

I have Deavers on my SCAB. I tow a 22' 6,000 pound searchlight trailer with 500 pounds of tongue weight. The rear sag with the Deavers is the same as it was with the original Ford springs.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, a legitimate post.

I have Deavers on my SCAB. I tow a 22' 6,000 pound searchlight trailer with 500 pounds of tongue weight. The rear sag with the Deavers is the same as it was with the original Ford springs.

So my post wasn't legitimate because you lack reading comprehension?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, a legitimate post.

Couple questions for you: 1) which deavers did you get? plus 2, 3, 0r 4. 2) Is this an enclosed trailer, if so, are you using an equalizer hitch set up? If you answered 3 or 4 and yes to the questions, then, another question: Do you know how to properly set up an equalizer hitch set up? If you don't, what I do since I have the same scenario as you with little sag is: when I load the trailer on, I don't crank the trailer down so all of the weight is resting on the truck, only drop it down about 2 inches and then hook up the equalizer bars and set them tight, then when I release the rest of the weight of the trailer it sits level, no sag at all. I have gone too far and not put enough weight on the truck and have had the rear tires spin around corners due to the flex of the trailer lifting the back of the truck enough. Can help you more if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter