What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, that's not good if the control arm is hitting the springs either. Waiting on spring then :)

Yep. It’ll be interesting to see how the factory springs at mid perch compare. The control are would just touch the spring on full droop, but that didn’t start until the spring hat began to fail.

Either way I am looking forward to spring, lol

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Believe the OEM tires are C rated? Unless there 35’sthen they would be E
The original Gen 1 KO's are D rated (8 ply rating). Since BFG doesn't make a D rated KO2, their replacement KO2's are E rated (10 ply rating). Gen 2 KO2's are C rated 6 ply rating).

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, that's not good if the control arm is hitting the springs either. Waiting on spring then :)

Getting the left and right Raptor top hat on the wrong side will cause the upper control arm to hit the spring because of the orientation of the spacer that is fastened to the top hat. This is a common mistake when reassembling the shocks back in the truck and has been discussed several times in the suspension section of FRF.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting the left and right Raptor top hat on the wrong side will cause the upper control arm to hit the spring because of the orientation of the spacer that is fastened to the top hat. This is a common mistake when reassembling the shocks back in the truck and has been discussed several times in the suspension section of FRF.

In this case the shocks were not installed incorrectly. The aftermarket springs seemed to cause a failure on the shock hat itself. Pulled the bushing through the two piece metal shock hat.

The control arm did not contact the spring until the failure occurred. The failure basically allowed the suspension to droop further.

I actually had more issues then just the contact with the spring. Enough so that I had to replace the control arm as well.

The overall length of the shock had increased enough that I couldn’t remove the coilover from the truck without taking the brake lines loose from the knuckle and removing the axle nut.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the Geiser springs were in development it was stated that the test mule was on mid perch and that is where they were intended to be run. I bought a pair as soon as they were released and ran them on factory perch (low) for about three years and 50k+ miles with zero issues. The bottom line is either defective part, spring or top hat, or assembly error. I've never seen or heard of a defective top hat before but you may have discovered the answer to the front end clunck thread.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the Geiser springs were in development it was stated that the test mule was on mid perch and that is where they were intended to be run. I bought a pair as soon as they were released and ran them on factory perch (low) for about three years and 50k+ miles with zero issues. The bottom line is either defective part, spring or top hat, or assembly error. I've never seen or heard of a defective top hat before but you may have discovered the answer to the front end clunck thread.

I kept them on bottom perch as well. I have up to this point only heard of people having issues on mid perch. I’m definitely not ruling out the possibility of a defective top hat either. But the passenger one looks to have some bushing issues starting but not anywhere near as bad as the driver one was. That last stud on the driver’s side was barely holding it all together lol.

I did the whole swap all 2.5 times, long story lol. But both shocks were never off the truck at the same time and I’m pretty good at taking pictures, marking , etc so I know the two wedge spacers were are-installed as they were removed. I’m also starting to get pretty good at aligning the spring hat with the lower bushing lol. Basically if there was an assembly error, I’m not sure what it would have been.

I knew I was in for a more complicated disassembly when the suspension kept drooping and more and more of the upper spring isolator was showing.

Either way got the springs swapped back to factory. Got my new control arm delivered today. So I should have it back up and running for my next event.

D

Deleted member 12951

c4289292382f6393d25ecbdb8f3271e6.jpg
Swapped stock lugs for SDHQ splined. Way better look. Next to figure out the best way to black out the rings.

Scott
Those lugnuts are for aftermarket wheels and thin walled. The acorn angle is a LOT smaller to hold the wheel. I would never use those on stock wheels. Bet if you look straight on those lugnuts you installed, you will see a silver/metal ring around where it meets the wheel showing how little its actually holding.

f3331864bd729dba352d26406e3b7e7d.jpg

You want something like this:
https://www.freedommotorsports.us/i...nut-kit-factory-style-bulge-black-chrome.html

Last edited by a moderator:

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not currently have any plans for them. I can send you a PM this evening with some pictures if you are interested.
I am but this is the first Ive seen anyone have an issue like this. You were on bottom perch and this happened? Miles? Any hard jumps?