What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Umm, most tuned cars won’t pass smog anyway since readiness is generally never achieved. You just flash to stock, get the test flash the tune back. This is really a non issue.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, most tuned cars won’t pass smog anyway since readiness is generally never achieved. You just flash to stock, get the test flash the tune back. This is really a non issue.
I guess that depends on how far you are modded and if it will run on the stock tune. Shouldn't be an issue for most of us, but I could see highly modified vehicles having a lot of issues with this

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read something somewhere that said that the machines they now have can detect if a car / truck was tuned, and the tune was returned to stock, and they won't pass it. Bad deal for anyone living in California if it's true.

Boostd4

Reaction score
I thought I read something somewhere that said that the machines they now have can detect if a car / truck was tuned, and the tune was returned to stock, and they won't pass it. Bad deal for anyone living in California if it's true.
Nope, definitely not the case. I'll have to find the link but the BAR "suggests" keeping the factory software for smog inspections, so they know people will be doing it. As long as the CalID and the CVN are in the database and your monitors are set you're good. Interestingly, Cobb's OTS maps have a CARB EO# which is a direct result of this new check.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Or you can just move to a place where humans don’t have to lick the boots of their betters.