GEN 2 Weird rattle sound from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorWings

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 17' Raptor with little modifications and a goosetune.(sitting at 116k miles). Truck has been running fine. But about a week or two ago it started making a really nasty metal ticking sound but only while idling, once I accelerate it stops. Once its warmed up I haven't really noticed it either. I got home from work today and parked it and went to auto start about 3 hrs later and i started hearing that sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. After a while the first sound went away and started doing a very low hum or vaccum sound. I was trying to upload a longer video but website wouldn't let me.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.mov
    7.7 MB
  • IMG_4481.mov
    13.9 MB

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Priolly the "waste gate rattle", do a search, you'll find plenty of info about this to include recordings of the sound. My 17 does the same thing on occasion, it hasn't bugged me enough to install the little springs that will make it go away

OP
OP
RaptorWings

RaptorWings

Reaction score
Priolly the "waste gate rattle", do a search, you'll find plenty of info about this to include recordings of the sound. My 17 does the same thing on occasion, it hasn't bugged me enough to install the little springs that will make it go away
Ive heard the rattle and this sounds completely different. Specially how its coming from the passenger side only. What springs are you referring to?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wastegate rattle does sound a lil bit different but that doesnt seem like its from the engine, didnt hear it get louder or increase in frequency with throttle.

However the above rattle does go away once warmed up, so i am leaning towards that. If you search here you can find the hillman spring # we used to stop that. Worth a shot to at least cross off a potential cause.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB for 2017 models to add springs to the wastegate linkages to dampen the noise when cold. You can order the parts and install them yourself if you’d like.

OP
OP
RaptorWings

RaptorWings

Reaction score
the wastegate rattle does sound a lil bit different but that doesnt seem like its from the engine, didnt hear it get louder or increase in frequency with throttle.

However the above rattle does go away once warmed up, so i am leaning towards that. If you search here you can find the hillman spring # we used to stop that. Worth a shot to at least cross off a potential cause.
I completely forgot to add that I have a wrench light on with a "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" message