WeatherTech in-channel window vents *beware*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother in law`s passenger window on his Ferrari exploded when started to wash the wife`s car on a super hot day. It took two months to get a replacement. P.s. I drove the hell out of that car:emotions33:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always thought vent shades were for smokers so they could open the window when it's raining. I suppose they'd also come in handy for people who want to leave their windows cracked while parked on a hot day for ventilation and not worry about an unexpected rain shower. So other than these 2 purposes, why would anyone want these anyway? They really don't look very good IMO. Just saying...

You don't need to be a smoker to want the window cracked in the rain. It's nice being able to put the windows partially down in the rain just for some air circulation in nice weather when you don't want the a/c on, but it's raining out.

And as you mentioned nice for cracking the windows when parked, not only to keep rain out, but nobody knows the windows are cracked unless they come up and look under the visor.

They also change the wind pattern. Usually they deflect the wind around a bit more so you don't get blasted in the face as much with the windows down.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I always thought vent shades were for smokers so they could open the window when it's raining. I suppose they'd also come in handy for people who want to leave their windows cracked while parked on a hot day for ventilation and not worry about an unexpected rain shower. So other than these 2 purposes, why would anyone want these anyway? They really don't look very good IMO. Just saying...

well, in my opinion when coupled with a good tint job they add something to the look. also, they do function well in shading the sun at certain times of the day. I almost always drive with my window cracked except on the highway because i listen to my music loud and sometimes don't hear emergency vehicles with the windows up.

Add to that the reasons you stated and now you've got a pretty long list of benefits beyond looks. Hard to say that for a lot of Raptor mods.
Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well, in my opinion when coupled with a good tint job they add something to the look. also, they do function well in shading the sun at certain times of the day. I almost always drive with my window cracked except on the highway because i listen to my music loud and sometimes don't hear emergency vehicles with the windows up.

Add to that the reasons you stated and now you've got a pretty long list of benefits beyond looks. Hard to say that for a lot of Raptor mods.
Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 22

Uh huh, sure birdman... I am sure that is the reason you keep you window cracked.. Lol

-Greg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The only thing ghetto is the chunks missing from them on my driver side. This thing is a hoopdie

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
does this work? from another forum

Agreed.

I have stated it previously here; in-channel ventvisors do not work well on our trucks. Like Bird, I found out the hard way.

Fixed my bounceback!!
I got the de-initialization/initialization procedures from my dealership and had success with it. Here's the procedure they gave me. I went with the option of removing the fuse:

De-Initialization

Note: The front window motor must be de-initialized (reset to its original factory settings) before carrying out the initialization procedure.

1. Turn the ignition ON.
2. Operate the window control switch in one-touch mode and remove power from the window motor while the window is moving by one of the following methods:

a. Disconnect the vehicle battery cable while the window is moving.
b. Remove the LH or RH front window motor fuse while the window is moving.

3. This de-initializes the window motor and reset the window motor to its original factory setting
4. Carry out the initialization procedure to turn the one-touch-up feature on

Initialization

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects In Its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result In serious personal injury.

NOTE: The front window must be in the full OPEN position for this procedure to operate correctly

NOTE: If the initialization procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains de-initialized and operates only in proportional up/down and one-touch¬down modes.

5. Turn the ignition ON.
6. Activate and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds into the glass top run and release the switch.
7. Activate and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls for 2 seconds at the bottom of its travel and release the switch.

im sure someone here has tried this. wonder if it works. hell, id just leave it de-initialized if i knew i could install the in-channel and roll the window up without it coming right back down. i could live without the auto-up feature.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:snoopfacepalm:

I thought that went without saying, but how could someone know if they've always lived somewhere warm, right? Just to clarify. If you are somewhere cold and have a frosted or ice covered windshield, do NOT throw hot water, or warm or cold water for that matter on the windshield. Hot water can crack/or even shatter your windshield depending on temperature/condition of windshield, etc. Cold water will freeze.

I've also heard of (but never saw) the opposite, cold water on a hot windshield can crack it. Expansion of the glass...yadda yadda... ask the engineers or Google for detailed explanations.

Growing up in New England, my dad, a firemen, would keep a bucket of cold water by the door during the winter. When he would get the call, he would grab the bucket and pour it on windshield and go. He never had a problem, in all his years on the department doing this. I am not recommending that you try this, I never have, but cold water shouldn't be a problem. NEVER use hot water!

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

I installed them on my 11 SCREW in the warmer months and didnt have any major issues . it did cause my window to kick-back a few times. but that only lasted a week or so..

Thanks

I think the lesson here is, don't install them in Dec./Jan. in New England.

Have had them on my '10 since '10.... No problems here other than one randomly fell out when I rolled the window down at Starbucks the other day. Until then they'd been just fine for 2.5 years (no bounce back on '10 models)

I believe the one-touch / auto up feature was introduced in 2011.