GEN 2 Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL...I'm not doing all your research for you but since you seem ignorant of the law and your rights here are a few links:

The law:
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

A couple examples of Tunes causing warranty denial:

"Guy got his front diff warranty voided for having aftermarket front springs, for instance, which I thought was a stretch."

Front springs can change the geometry of the axles. Depends on the failure and the spring used but obviously proceed at your own risk.

"Let me ask you this- are you tuned? Have you ever had a factory warranty effected/denied due to a tune on a vehicle? Do you know someone who has?"

Yes I'm tuned. Not had a warranty issue because I've not had an engine issue but if I did...depending on the failure I'm prepared to pay plus I bought the Tune Warranty that covers if a claim is denied due to the tune. I've pasted a couple examples of tunes causing an engine warranty to be denied and there are others.

"Btw- patently disagree as well that in the event a dealer does wanna void a portion of your warranty that it’s so easy to just fight it or get a lawyer...this right here makes me believe you got ZERO experience dealing w/ this stuff."

Read the law. Plenty of information out there. Never said it was easy just letting you know your rights under the law and that you have recourse if a claim is denied that obviously isn't related to a particular mod.

My personal experience includes tuning...have one on my truck now, CAI, IC, Catch Can, Stereo upgrade and I accept the risk and again...I bought the warranty that covers any denied claim due to any of my upgrades except the stereo. It's reasonable that my mods could cause damage that stock parts wouldn't have and I accept the risk but at the same time I also understand I have rights under the law that can be defended if Ford or the dealership goes to far in assigning blame although I don't expect that to happen. I've purchased a special warranty available at stage3 motorsports that covers any denied warranty action for 5yr/60k just in case and for peace of mind.

My truck has purred along for 9k perfect miles all modded up and I don't expect any issues. I am however prepared to pay the price in case something does crop up and could be related to one of my mods and also prepared to legally fight if they were to deny something that is clearly not related to a mod because I have legal rights protected by law at the federal level under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

with all due respect to your personal feelings and your extensive experience it doesn't change the facts, the law, your rights or your risks when it comes to modding your vehicle and making a warranty claim.

My personal opinion is that most mods carry very little risk of causing a failure and most warranty claims will be honored. There will be exceptions for sure on both accounts. If you can't afford to pay then don't play is my basic operating approach when modding.

Basically I agree w/ you just from different viewpoint/experience.

I can’t NOT touch most of my vehicles so something like a handheld tune barely blips my radar as a mod....& no doubt they can/do F w/ you when it comes to
Tunes- my point is kinda when it comes to the raptor platform specifically my opinion is the there seem to be a slew of common mods that are more perceptible by the dealer - the FMIC & CAIs in particular- & thus much more likely to draw criticism/pushback than tune only, colder plugs, stock mounted IC etc. -

Like the dealer/service rep may very well THINK I could be tuned if I come in complaining about cam phasers, but more than likely they won’t assume much since my truck is pretty much stock looking, I paid cash, & I have a 100k b2b warranty.

If I came in there w/ yellow RPG collars, a COBB IC & intake, external BOVs, turbo adapters, downpipes etc etc- do they even have to ask or dig into the ECm? Forget about that- they’ll already assume & KNOW you’re tuned. Hell you can’t even run some of those mods w/o tune to begin with. May as well get a vinyl wrap stating “COBB tunes FTW!!!”

TheClaw

Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I’ve had my raptor for about 6 months. 2017. I’m at 42k miles and counting.

Went off-roading Saturday no problems until I started the truck after work and there was a repetitive grumbling sound coming from front or underneath driver side.

It goes away but when I give it some gas it comes back. Popped good but couldn’t find where it was coming from.

Any thoughts? Bought the extended warranty. Does ford cover regular issues found after a little dirt fun. Or should I deap clean before I go to the dealership?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting your truck dirty will not affect a warranty claim. Making modifications to your truck might cause a claim to be denied.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I’ve had my raptor for about 6 months. 2017. I’m at 42k miles and counting.

Went off-roading Saturday no problems until I started the truck after work and there was a repetitive grumbling sound coming from front or underneath driver side.

It goes away but when I give it some gas it comes back. Popped good but couldn’t find where it was coming from.

Any thoughts? Bought the extended warranty. Does ford cover regular issues found after a little dirt fun. Or should I deap clean before I go to the dealership?

sounds like mud on the electric fans. The first time you hear it you think ‘oh $hit, that doesn’t sound good’ and then that sensation of fear and dread at having potentially lunched truck that costs scores of thousands of dollars.

the sound being tied to throttle though, that gives me some doubt about the fans. How’s your intake look?

TheClaw

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. I need to spray the engine bay down.

Intake is clean as a whistle after the filter. And dirty as Diana before. I mean I sprayed the grill but I guess illl see if the sound persists after a good engine bay cleaning.

No check engine light or problems driving as of yet.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Basically I agree w/ you just from different viewpoint/experience.

I can’t NOT touch most of my vehicles so something like a handheld tune barely blips my radar as a mod....& no doubt they can/do F w/ you when it comes to
Tunes- my point is kinda when it comes to the raptor platform specifically my opinion is the there seem to be a slew of common mods that are more perceptible by the dealer - the FMIC & CAIs in particular- & thus much more likely to draw criticism/pushback than tune only, colder plugs, stock mounted IC etc. -

Like the dealer/service rep may very well THINK I could be tuned if I come in complaining about cam phasers, but more than likely they won’t assume much since my truck is pretty much stock looking, I paid cash, & I have a 100k b2b warranty.

If I came in there w/ yellow RPG collars, a COBB IC & intake, external BOVs, turbo adapters, downpipes etc etc- do they even have to ask or dig into the ECm? Forget about that- they’ll already assume & KNOW you’re tuned. Hell you can’t even run some of those mods w/o tune to begin with. May as well get a vinyl wrap stating “COBB tunes FTW!!!”
The flaw in your line of thinking here is that if it is hidden, you are safe. Wrong. First, let's get some things out of the way - some dealers are just retarded and won't work on a truck with any mods. If that is the case, find a good dealer. There are dealers out there that want to do warranty work. They get paid to do it. They don't want to deny your warranty for fun. Next, if you have a real issue, like a spun bearing or you threw a rod or blew a turbo - do you really think that your OEM replacement intercooler isn't going to potentially be a flag? You see, when big bad things happen, Ford usually sends a tech out to inspect. I can assure you that tech will treat your OEM replacement intercooler the same as the FMIC Cobb.

My point is, there are 2 separate things at work when it comes to warranties. First, is the local dealer - they can refuse to work on your truck if they have a problem with mods - seek another dealer. The second is Ford corp denying a claim if they are called in to inspect - this is the real problem IMO.

And the guy who got denied the front diff coverage was because he had the Fox factory 3.0's installed - which guess what? WERE DESIGNED for the truck! Word is that those were supposed to be the 'stock' shocks on the Gen 2 but drove costs up too high.