Warning about rear window defrosters!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Probably already mentioned but go into the settings and turn off the rear window from turning on automatically when using the remote start. That is the first thing I did before it started getting cold outside

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So has anyone gotten this replaced with the Ford ESP warranty? Debating on buying the extended warranty for the truck as I am about to expire my 3/36 and was the first thing I thought of was if mine breaks again that will be $1k out of pocket

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These same "exploding window" threads on the bigger F150 forums are hundreds of pages long.

I made sure I have glass coverage on my insurance for the Raptor after seeing what a massive problem it is.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I too recently had my back window shatter on a cool morning. Thankfully I called my local dealer and was told to bring it in. They acknowledged it was a known issue and within a few hours they had it replaced.

So that's my 2nd rear window. I'm at dealer today for my 5th license plate light housing. Clips break off every 6 months or so. I have only 14000 miles on truck but am 2 months out of warranty. They said thats not covered. Seriously? A 50 cent part and that's the answer?! I mentioned I would get on the forum and reach out to our service rep. They are fixing it free as I type.

Sometimes I think they just like to test us. Not a good philosophy.

That sucks! Could you define cool morning in degrees? Just wondering how cold it takes to have this happen, on average.

Bigdog44SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall it was about 35 out. Not below freezing.

This is my second window. Don't see how it's not a problem if so many seeing this. Don't get the turn off defroster tip. So in other words I now have a 1950s window that will just be fogged up?

Mine was covered under my factory warranty. I have an ESP as of October. Let's hope it helps if it rears its head again.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info. Glad they covered it, as they should! There should be a Ford fix for this, I had no idea this was happening. Thanks to FRF, I do.
I agree with ya, hard to turn it off when ya paid for it, on your truck and SHOULD work as published!!

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year when these start happening again. I've seen a bunch pop up here and on FB again.

I have disabled mine upon remote start as well I never use it. I want to pull the plugs on it too. I have looked through the multiple threads and didn't see off hand:
There are two, one on each side to disconnect?
This only affects the rear heating element and not the window from sliding?
Will the side-view mirrors still defrost?

Pickle

Reaction score
Back driver side fixed window exploded this morning at the coffee stand! Couldn’t find any reason why. It was 40 degrees outside and defroster was not on! Go figure

wakko0o

Reaction score
Yea I also have read about this everywhere. How I fixed it? I pulled the fuse. Don’t want the kids turning it on by mistake and then a cold front hits and I’m screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford really needs to get their stuff together, poor quality built vehicles and components. Should not be exploding windows. I’m taking my 18 raptor back tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Ha, I’m just joking of course, love my ford even if my window cracks