Warn M12000 install (and other) questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raccol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local guy is selling a used M12000 for $600. It has 125ft steel cable, remote, roller fairlead.

Before I buy, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has installed this winch behind the Raptor bumper to see how well it fits.

Recommendations on mount for this winch?

I know the 10K Smittybilt x2o with about 100ft synthetic rope is around $700 delivered and some folks here have used that winch. Is that a better option given the rope upgrade?

Any thoughts, comments, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THe real issue with rope versus steel cable is weight, and fraying of steel cable. The winch itself runs about 125 pounds and then add a mount that's about another 75 to 80 pounds.. That's a lot of weight to have on the front of the truck in front of the wheels all the time. I opted for a receiver hitch mount so I could put it on when I need it. Its just one way to deal with it. But also lets me put it in back of the truck. A 12500 is a bit overkill and the price he is asking really is not such a killer deal in my opinion.. There are a lot of choices out there so think about weight and strength as you contemplate what to do. Superwinch with a 125 foot cable 10k pulling is about 600.00 so you might want new versus used..