Vroom 2018 Raptor Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Machala

Reaction score
I went Raptor shopping a couple weeks back and looked at a few new 2019 and 2020 supercabs at some Texas dealers. None would budge off sticker so I picked up a used Lightning Blue 2018 801a. It was listed by Vroom on AutoTrader. It was $49K. I was leery of buying it sight unseen/online. And my fears were confirmed when it was delivered this past Saturday at 1AM. Even at night on the car hauler from 20 yards away I could see it had body work done on the passenger doors. The overspray from the repaint of both passenger doors was ominous. None of this was disclosed in the CarFax or by Vroom. Rubbing compound was all over the trucks running boards and was slung into the bed. I was at an impasse with it since I would be out essentially $1000 returning it ($550 delivery fee + $450 restocking fee). chose to keep it. I am a good detailer and spent all weekend working on it. After two days of hand rubbing (no buffer) I got all the overspray off. The door jambs were not taped off and were loaded with overspray too. A pain to get off by hand. The moulding was not removed for the repaint and the tape job was very hasty. So, I had to clean the moulding and carefully cut the paint where it meets the moulding. After a total of about 24 hours of working on the paint, I got it to where I can show it to people and they can't tell it has been repainted. Even a very picky Porsche fanatic couldn't tell. I am still sick over it though. It wasn't on the CarFax and Vroom never disclosed the repaint. I am sure Vroom hired some crack painters to fix some defects in the paint. So, now it will be on the CarFax when I sell it so I am bummed about that too. Though I usually keep vehicles about 5 years. Hindsight - I wouldn't buy from Vroom again.

On the plus side, the color is gorgeous and it has very little orange peel and only one small chip in the hood. The previous owner must have installed power folding body color mirrors because I don't think that can be gotten with 801a. It has the coated bed and tailgate step too. The original tires look excellent. It has 26K miles on the clock and was an Oklahoma truck.

What are your thoughts? Would you have returned it?

View media item 14605View media item 14604

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have looked at Vroom cars in the past, but have felt the same way about buying a car sight unseen. I have negotiated deals on new cars without seeing them many times, but that is a different story because they were new and I always picked them up in person before signing the final paperwork.

In your case, I would have refused the delivery and fought with Vroom about the shipping and restocking fee on a vehicle they obviously lied about.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have refused delivery and demanded a refund. If not, dispute the charge on credit card. False advertisement to say the least.

OP
OP
G

Greg Machala

Reaction score
The problem is you have to sign all the paperwork before they will deliver it. And, part of that is to pay the $450 restocking fee and $550 delivery fee. I am 53 and should know better. But, I was just so tired of searching for one of these Raptors (since they came out again in 2017) at a price I could afford (under $50K). So, I rolled the dice. Dang dealers won't deal at all. I found a base model supercab (3 of them) at Jordan Ford in San Antonio. If they would have come off sticker some I would have bought one of them. But, they wouldn't so, I walked. And I don't regret walking either. They are overpriced.

I am so jaded at this day and age that I just don't think it is worth my time to even fight it. In my eye they did something they cannot make right or win my trust ever again (they lied). So, I just made the decision to try to fix the paint issue myself one way or another. At some point, someone has to tackle the issue and do something. Sadly, I have found that taking responsibility is something a dealership will rarely do.

There don't appear to be any other issues. It does have the plastic pan. however, it doesn't leak....yet. I am a mechanic so, anything mechanical is gravy for me to fix anyway. Its the paint and body that I hate dealing with.
But, I managed to get it to look really good after days of elbow grease. If the paint ultimately adheres and doesn't peel is anyone's guess. If it does start to peel, I have decided to just keep an eye out for another Ligntning Blue F150 in a salvage yard and just buy the door shells off it and keep them just in case.

Cherry Ghost

Reaction score
Since you’re asking...

100% I would have returned it. I get that you may have been caught up in the moment and we’re forced to make a quick decision, but you would have only been out $1k. The flip side is that you now own a truck you’re unhappy with.

Having said that, it looks great after your 24 hour detail job (from what I can tell).

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gladly paid the $1K and sent it back. You don't know what other frame or mechanical damage could be lingering etc. Hopefully not and you have good luck !

RCorsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah all the time you spent correcting the problem was worth more than $1000! You should have never signed for it and filed a complaint with your Cc company. They would simply reversed the charges. I hope the truck runs OK for you. Also next time you want a deal on a car search the forums as to what dealers will give a deal and reach out directly to the SM. I’ve done that exact thing on Porsche, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes multiple times and have gotten way under MSRP every time. In fact I just got a 20% discount on a new 911Turbo S 2 weeks ago as the new 2020s will be out in 3-4 months and deals want their showrooms clear in December.

OP
OP
G

Greg Machala

Reaction score
Well if nothing else hope this will dissuade someone from buying from Vroom. I am not unhappy with it now. After working on the doors it looks like a new truck or better since it has no orange peel in the paint. The other body panels have very little orange peel. I am just unhappy with being lied to and duped more than anything. But,I can fix just about anything so it is more the principle of crooked businesses that bothers me than does the truck.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Sucks you got ripped off. Paying MSRP for the 19 or 20 would have been fair and you had looked around and emailed different dealers you could have gotten one below MSRP...especially a 19. Sounds like you got it ship shape and hopefully there isn't anything lingering that you haven't discovered...I wish you luck. As far as what I'd have done...1) I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. 2). I'd have refused delivery and paid the restocking fee just before consulting an attorney