VIAIR onboard air how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks joe! I dont know why i waited so long to get on boar air haha

as for the steel bars running across there is little no flex in them. they're 1/4 inch thick and after welding them in i hung from them a bit and they were not bending or breaking.

i do plan on rerouting the intake line i was thinking of routing it behind the tail light like you said but have to get more hose in order to reach that from under the bed but that is what i plan on doing this weekend.

the air hose plug im either gonna have come up through the bed in the corner of the back portion of the bed or do like i said and drill through the bumper and mount the connection there but yes it will have a cover over it.

thanks for the heads up on the horns and as for the hose well lowes had a nice 25ft hose on sale for 8 bucks friday so i grabbed one and that is what i'll be using to air up so if the 20 ft reaches then i know the 25 ft will lol

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would call VIAIR to make sure you can run that upside down. We bought a kit for use here at work and the one thing our service rep told us was to not run it upside down. It has to do with the oil lubrication for the motor and apparently it won't lubricate itself if it's upside down. Right side up or even on it's side is fine but he made sure we weren't operating it upside down. Edit: I don't mean this to be rude, I just don't want to see you have to replace the compressor due to something simple like that is all.

Other than that I really like the setup and need to get one for my truck. I want to be able to air down offroad and air back up before hitting the pavement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do bring up a very good point and I'm glad you mentioned it because I failed to make that part clear. With ANY Viair compressor you can mount it any way because the compressor is an oil-free compressor. Thanks for reminding me to put that up here. I have hear about this before doing this kit and I went right to the FAQ part of their site and found this.

Q: Is it possible to mount VIAIR compressors sideways, or must it be mounted with the cylinder upright?
A: You can mount in any direction or position since VIAIR compressors are oil-less.

The rep I talked to said he doesn't recommend mounting it upside down do to heat rising but since it's in the open like that and it won't be on constantly it's not an issue.

That's what's so great about the viair kits you can really mount them anywhere and anyway!!

Last edited:

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You do bring up a very good point and I'm glad you mentioned it because I failed to make that part clear. With ANY Viair compressor you can mount it any way because the compressor is an oil-free compressor. Thanks for reminding me to put that up here. I have hear about this before doing this kit and I went right to the FAQ part of their site and found this.

Q: Is it possible to mount VIAIR compressors sideways, or must it be mounted with the cylinder upright?
A: You can mount in any direction or position since VIAIR compressors are oil-less.

The rep I talked to said he doesn't recommend mounting it upside down do to heat rising but since it's in the open like that and it won't be on constantly it's not an issue.

That's what's so great about the viair kits you can really mount them anywhere and anyway!!

Hmm that's odd that the guy mentioned it to us about the oil then. I'll have to give him a call back and see if it's specific to our model (about the oil) or if it was more about the heat than anything. I did notice there weren't any ports for replacing or changing the oil on them but I figured it was a self-lubricating system and that didn't really need to be changed. I'll give them a call in the morning to see what the deal is.

Either way I'm glad to know this kit can be run upside down since it's the one I'm probably going to buy for my truck in the future.

OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm that's odd that the guy mentioned it to us about the oil then. I'll have to give him a call back and see if it's specific to our model (about the oil) or if it was more about the heat than anything. I did notice there weren't any ports for replacing or changing the oil on them but I figured it was a self-lubricating system and that didn't really need to be changed. I'll give them a call in the morning to see what the deal is.

Either way I'm glad to know this kit can be run upside down since it's the one I'm probably going to buy for my truck in the future.

are you sure its a viair compressor? cause i think they've always been that way. and all the models are oil free. maybe its a different brand or the guy didnt know what he was talking about hah.

yea man its a great buy hit up chris he has a great price on these kits and there are a few different set ups as well

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
are you sure its a viair compressor? cause i think they've always been that way. and all the models are oil free. maybe its a different brand or the guy didnt know what he was talking about hah.

yea man its a great buy hit up chris he has a great price on these kits and there are a few different set ups as well

It's definitely a VIAIR. I told my boss to purchase it after having read such good things about them here, actually. We are using it for a mobile solution of providing 80-100psi of air to an air-operated dump valve used in ultra-high pressure waterblasting (40,000 psi) and we are currently investigating how best to mount it to our skids/trailered units that we sell. Upside down would be easiest but he said that wouldn't work but we've called him and left a message to see what's up.

We purchased the Industrial Grade Heavy Duty VIAR with a 1 gallon VIAIR tank. PN 10005 but slightly modified for us. Oddly enough, he said all of their compressors are the same (the consumer heavy duty and the industrial grade heavy duty are the same). The only thing that makes it Industrial Grade is the stainless steel braided hose. But considering how he told us we can't mount upside down due to lubrication/oil, I'm not so sure...

Last edited: