valve spring on number 7 Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstrun

Reaction score
The Current Issue: Valve spring number 7 is broken.

Leading up to this is the problem:

First had an issue on a slope with the front end down had remote started the truck and it died sounded like it was out of fuel. Went out tried to start the truck and it would not rolled it down the driveway and let it sit started up sputtered a couple of time and was fine. Drove to the gas station filled it up.

Proceeded to drive and the check engine light lit up and the truck was running a little rough. Figured I would need to replace the fuel filter after it acting like it ran out of gas with 7 gallons still in the tank.

Called the dealer and asked about the check engine light and they schedule an appointment for the next week with no concern because the light was not flashing. Fast forward three days I start my truck and it is really running rough and the light starts flashing so proceed to turn it off call the dealership again and take they tell me it is ok to drive in.

Well that was 12 days ago and the process of getting to the point of the valve spring is as follows.

First Computer codes showed that it was a coil issue and plugs. (not in stock took two days to get the parts and put them in)

All seemed good after replacing they took it for a test drive and after returning to the dealer they moved it to wash it and the problem started over.

They hooked it up to the computer and proceeded to test it for 5 days as it would not recreate the problem when the computer was hooked up.

At this point I am frustrated wanting my truck back thinking so after a few discussions I make the decision to go pick it up. The tested it one more time and low and behold it did again with the computer hooked up.

Second Computer Codes showed it was a fuel pressure issue so after two days of plowing thru ever code option they could it was back to ford with other options.

Today I receive a call from the service manager that the Valve Spring is broken on number 7 and they will be ordering parts and I can expect my truck back in another 2 or 3 days.

My response is simple other damage? I am very concerned that if the issue was this all along how was it not having the problem and the it was random all the way until they pull the valve covers today.

Raptor is a 2012 with 16,000 miles and has the 6.2

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on where it broke. If its was towards the top or bottom of the valve spring, usually it still keeps a pretty good job controlling the valve. If the break was in the center or it broke multiple spots in the coil, the valve may of hit. Just depends really

OP
OP
J

jstrun

Reaction score
Update

Well after a visit to the dealership to swap out the little car for a loaner truck.... I got a better look at what happened. The valve spring broke in the middle and would actually work part of the time. Now it is the long wait for parts and another day on the computer.... maybe if things go well I will have it back on day 21..... driving a regular f150 is not the same but it is better than the little mazda 3 they had me in the first two weeks.

fingers crossed

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull that plug a get a camera down that hole & see if that value hit the piston it probably did. Better to it get handled before something worse happens & especially if its under warranty. If it did hit it most likely bent the valve. Good luck.

FLYING BONES

Reaction score
My raptor died pointing down a slope with about 7 gals in it...had to ad 2 gals to get it to start! Maybe unrelated?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk