GEN 2 Upgrading Speakers & Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

froaddindude

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little insight as to what I did with my 2015 Lariat... (I know not a Raptor but hey, its pertinent to this discussion)

I had the dreaded Sony system in my truck, unfortunately it just wasn't cutting it. So I decided to upgrade it. Unfortunately with the Sony amp there really isn't a way of getting the signals from the deck without ******** up the system so I searched long and hard and found the connector for the Sony amp and then took the exports out of the Sony amp into a JL Clean Sweep Summing box, from there into a Clean sweep, after that I have a JL RCA splitter, which then gives me a dedicated set of RCAs for my Sub amp, plus two full independent sets for my Door speakers amp.

Amp wise I'm running a JL XD 600/6 (from my previous BMW build) for the doors and a JL HD 1200/1 for the subs.

I did find once you remove the stock subwoofer there is ample room back there to mount amps and other items like the clean sweep and cross overs.

Door speaker wise, I'm running Focal K2s in the fronts and then JL C2s in the rear. I mounted the crossovers for the K2s back by the amps because instead of running new wires throughout the whole truck (which probably sounds fun to some of you) this allowed me to plug my amped speaker wires back into the stock Sony Amp connector and hence through the truck :)

From there you're able to get scosche's speaker wire connectors for the door speakers, the benefit of doing this system like this... no stock wires were cut in this whole process meaning the system is completely reversible with the stock system. Hence if I ever go to sell the truck I can pull my whole aftermarket stereo system out and put it back stock (audio wise).

Regarding subs... the solution I went with is JLs 10TW3 in their truck wedge (CS110TG-TW3). These subs fit Perfectly under the rear seat. And when I say perfectly, most people have commented like they were made for this truck. The color of the carpet matches very well, they don't stick out from under the seat, and to be honest they do hit very well, and are insanely clean. I've been testing other JL subs (I admit I'm a die hard JL fan) and these 10s hang with most of them. I've even had another pair of TW5s in the truck, and they are pretty close to my discerning ear.... Now they don't have the output of a W7, but realistically, those aren't even in the same ballpark... it was fun pounding a 13W7 with that 1200/1... but it is total unbalanced. (What I mean by unbalanced is all the bass was only coming from on side of the truck, hence my right ear would start to get agitated way before my left.)

Currently I'm running two of these 10" TW3 subs, but I'll be adding a third since I'm currently over amping the two with the 1200/1.

In the end, with the subs being in their unique sealed enclosures you still have the freedom to move them around if you want to, and don't have to stress about loosing space. The other day I picked up some new tires for my race civic and was able to put all 8 tires in the read cab and just stacked the subs on themselves. This flexibility and the sound quality they provide is unmatched.

I'll try and post some pictures with this post and I hope you guys enjoy the system!

Note, in reality too, the 10TW3's aren't all that expensive, yes MSRP is $300 per woofer, but I've had a couple local shops quoting they will sell the woofer alone for $180ish, or with the JL box for $250.

Attachments

• IMG_7936.jpg
    IMG_7936.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7937.jpg
    IMG_7937.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7939.jpg
    IMG_7939.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7940.jpg
    IMG_7940.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7941.jpg
    IMG_7941.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 84

naamanf

Reaction score
You can also reprogram the ACM for a un-equalized pre-amp signal or us a PAC AP4-FD21. I used the AP4-FD21 wtih a TOSLINK feeding a digital signal to a Helix DSP.2. So far so good.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also reprogram the ACM for a un-equalized pre-amp signal or us a PAC AP4-FD21. I used the AP4-FD21 wtih a TOSLINK feeding a digital signal to a Helix DSP.2. So far so good.

Does their wiring harness work on the GEN2? I haven't seen any mention of 2017 in their compatibility charts.