Up Fitter voltage?? missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seartrip

Reaction score
Hey guys, can someone explain these two sets of wires more clearly? How do you distinguish one from the other and what are different applications of each. Want to install some led fog lights, but getting confused on best approach to wire to aux. I should just be able to wire both lights to aux 1 right under hood correct? No need to go into cab?

I'll try and help- Yes, you can wire your fog lights directly to the powered Aux wire in the engine bay (assuming you don't exceed the rated amperage) without having go into the cab at all. Looking at the wiring harness behind the battery, there are two bundles of wires for the Aux circuits. I'll call the powered bundle Group A, and the unpowered/pass-through bundle Group B. I found Group A (powered) on the left-hand side of the wiring harness, while Group B (pass-through) on the right-hand side of the harness. Here's the bitch of it- Ford folded up and wrapped these two Groups onto the main harness with black tape, and they're a PITA to see if you don't know what you're looking for. Nobody likes to start yanking on wires in a $60K+ new vehicle, but trust me, they're there. I recommend you check your manual addendum for the colors of the various Aux switches to help you spot the correct colors and verify you've got the right wires. They will be in groups of six with the ends dipped in an insulating plastic- very distinct. The wires are also different gauge sizes corresponding to the amperage rating, and the 5A Aux wires are really thin (not sure what gauge) which may surprise you.

The Group A/Powered wires are controlled by the interior Aux switches, and you can wire directly to them as they are controlled by a relay and fused from the factory (check the amp ratings again and use the right wire!). The Group B wires are only pass-through wires that go from the engine bay into the passenger footwell. You can use the Group B wires to run power from an Aux switched circuit into the interior for use by something like a dash cam or radar detector. You would do this by connecting the proper Group A wire to the proper Group B wire in the engine bay (splice them together), and then finding the proper Group B wire in the passenger footwell and connecting it to your accessory. FYI- the wires in the footwell as also a major bitch to spot and pull out, just like in the engine bay but worse (at least in my case). As an engineer and former mechanic, it kills me that Ford couldn't make the wires easier to spot and access, and maybe make them 6 inches longer for convenience. Should be easier to use a feature like the Aux switches for the regular joe.

For me, I'll have my driving lights on Aux 1 and Aux 2, and I use Aux 6 for powering my dashcam on and off as needed for privacy. Very happy with the layout. Just take your time.

Hope that helps.

Giorgiob

Reaction score
I'll try and help- Yes, you can wire your fog lights directly to the powered Aux wire in the engine bay (assuming you don't exceed the rated amperage) without having go into the cab at all. Looking at the wiring harness behind the battery, there are two bundles of wires for the Aux circuits. I'll call the powered bundle Group A, and the unpowered/pass-through bundle Group B. I found Group A (powered) on the left-hand side of the wiring harness, while Group B (pass-through) on the right-hand side of the harness. Here's the bitch of it- Ford folded up and wrapped these two Groups onto the main harness with black tape, and they're a PITA to see if you don't know what you're looking for. Nobody likes to start yanking on wires in a $60K+ new vehicle, but trust me, they're there. I recommend you check your manual addendum for the colors of the various Aux switches to help you spot the correct colors and verify you've got the right wires. They will be in groups of six with the ends dipped in an insulating plastic- very distinct. The wires are also different gauge sizes corresponding to the amperage rating, and the 5A Aux wires are really thin (not sure what gauge) which may surprise you.

The Group A/Powered wires are controlled by the interior Aux switches, and you can wire directly to them as they are controlled by a relay and fused from the factory (check the amp ratings again and use the right wire!). The Group B wires are only pass-through wires that go from the engine bay into the passenger footwell. You can use the Group B wires to run power from an Aux switched circuit into the interior for use by something like a dash cam or radar detector. You would do this by connecting the proper Group A wire to the proper Group B wire in the engine bay (splice them together), and then finding the proper Group B wire in the passenger footwell and connecting it to your accessory. FYI- the wires in the footwell as also a major bitch to spot and pull out, just like in the engine bay but worse (at least in my case). As an engineer and former mechanic, it kills me that Ford couldn't make the wires easier to spot and access, and maybe make them 6 inches longer for convenience. Should be easier to use a feature like the Aux switches for the regular joe.

For me, I'll have my driving lights on Aux 1 and Aux 2, and I use Aux 6 for powering my dashcam on and off as needed for privacy. Very happy with the layout. Just take your time.

Hope that helps.

Seartrip: you are the man! That was perfect. Thank you. So the 6 wires are all just "hot" (different sperage as per manual). No negative. just need to hook negative end from lights to ground anywhere on the vehicle frame right?

Thanks again

Seartrip

Reaction score
Very welcome! Yes, the group A wires are all hot, controlled by the interior Aux switches. There are no ground wires - just ground to any appropriate place such as the frame, grounding strap or at the battery.

MKomertz

Reaction score
I need help with this, as I have no idea what I'm doing! lol. I see the two bundles but no loose wires. Any guidance would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

A picture tutorial would be helpful, as the video doesn't really do it justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PyroRaptor413

Reaction score
Very welcome! Yes, the group A wires are all hot, controlled by the interior Aux switches. There are no ground wires - just ground to any appropriate place such as the frame, grounding strap or at the battery.

Anyone having issues with sound of humm coming from audio when auxiliary switch is switched on? Could it be my grounding point?

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with sound of humm coming from audio when auxiliary switch is switched on? Could it be my grounding point?

Whats hooked uo to the aux switch? Cheap china LEDs will cause rf interference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro