ultimate driving light combo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the business Mike. These were the most popular item this year it seemed. Gonna be a LOT of happy Raptor owners out there soon

Overclocker

Reaction score
Yes, you can swap lenses as you please similarly to the Baja Designs pods. They are also releasing in the next couple weeks yellow and black snap on covers if you want to switch back and fourth between white or yellow depending on driving conditions.

I would personally run the SAE Fog sports, spot and flood pros. Then grabbing a pair of yellow covers for the SAE pair for when you need to drive through dense fog, snow or dusty conditions.

We can put together a custom kit if you are interested. Please send us a message. These are going like hot cakes!

Thanks. The page also states "Custom One Piece Plug and Play Wiring Harness with Crimp Connectors" Are there instructions out there for the Raptor? I need to know if it's as easy to install as the BD, and work with the upfitter switches.

NEOGARAGE

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. The page also states "Custom One Piece Plug and Play Wiring Harness with Crimp Connectors" Are there instructions out there for the Raptor? I need to know if it's as easy to install as the BD, and work with the upfitter switches.
It's way easier. BD's kit includes two harness which gets really bulky to pull through from one side to the other and up through the engine bay, it just doesn't feel right and ends up looking bad in my opinon. You also only wire up to two switches while our harness allows you to wire each pair separately.

I include instructions, but if you need any assistance you can always call us and we can walk you through.

I wired up a Raptor yesterday morning within an hour, granted I've done a few dozen, but it's very simple and everything even the crimp connectors are user friendly.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue, in a nut shell, was that an independent company decided to test out everybodys lights. They made a post over on a Tacoma forum with their results and basically failed everybody. Baja failed because they were I believe about 1 candlepower over the regulation. This was due to company Baja used to test the lights not adjusting some equipment 100%. Something to that nature. But it was so minimal you'd never notice it with the naked eye, just with scientific equipment. BUT they are correcting it free of charge. It's just a lens swap so real simple fix.

Unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple. First, the independent company you claim on the Tacoma forum isn’t even a company, but just an individual that tests aux/aftermarket lighting, though he is involved in the automotive world and his test results led to third parties testing them. Second, everyone did not fail in the test, in fact most didn’t. Lastly, candlepower or lumens had nothing to do with Baja Design SAE lights failure. Rigid's recently released 360 SAE light has more lumens than Bajas SAE and it doesn’t fail because it has a correct beam pattern and because of that minimal glare (as an SAE light). Baja Designs SAE lights failed because of the beam pattern and the amount of glare they give off, which makes them less effective in inclement weather (for street driving, again SAE) and are more prone to blind oncoming drivers. So in essence, it’s not what Baja Designs marketed them as, a true SAE light (if they were, Baja wouldn’t be redesigning them right now).

That said, Baja Designs still makes excellent lights, but the worst part about all this is, Baja has mostly been silent on the issue and their vendors, including those on here, have also been silent on the issue (unless provoked) and grossly undermine the issue when it does pop up, assuming it’ll come at a sale lost to them. Transparency and honesty is important to building a reputable company and trust with customers.

Link to the original Tacoma thread https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/page-49. Lots of good (true) info in that thread.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with the SAE business.

Unless I need to go stupid fast for some reason, I've never even considered turning on the auxiliary lights on my raptor while on a public roadway.

On my super duty, I have a BD fog light kit. I run them as yellows for fog. I am using combo lenses.

I purposely aimed them extra low when I installed them. I put them on fairly regularly on the road. I've driven past hundreds of police officers and have logged 10s of thousands ( literally) of miles all over the country with them on.

I've never had lights flashed at me. I've never been pulled over. I've never actually had anyone say or do anything that would imply that they are a problem.

So what's the big deal? BD is obligated to correct the product. They are liable for it not being what they advertised. They've assumed responsibility and have indicated that they are working on it.

they are not obligated to discuss it further. the are not even obligated to give you status updates.

chill the hell out.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with the SAE business.

Unless I need to go stupid fast for some reason, I've never even considered turning on the auxiliary lights on my raptor while on a public roadway.

On my super duty, I have a BD fog light kit. I run them as yellows for fog. I am using combo lenses.

I purposely aimed them extra low when I installed them. I put them on fairly regularly on the road. I've driven past hundreds of police officers and have logged 10s of thousands ( literally) of miles all over the country with them on.

I've never had lights flashed at me. I've never been pulled over. I've never actually had anyone say or do anything that would imply that they are a problem.

So what's the big deal? BD is obligated to correct the product. They are liable for it not being what they advertised. They've assumed responsibility and have indicated that they are working on it.

they are not obligated to discuss it further. the are not even obligated to give you status updates.

chill the hell out.

Was never worked up, just pointing out the facts of the situation and the discrepancies of both Baja Designs and their vendors.

Kinda funny how you claim you “don’t understand what the big deal is with the SAE business” and “unless I need to go stupid fast for some reason, I've never even considered turning on the auxiliary lights on my raptor while on a public roadway”. Yet, you are improperly aiming your auxiliary off road lightning on your Super Duty to make it usable on the street and use it frequently (10s of thousands of miles). Perhaps, if you used the correct lightning application for the situation you would understand the SAE business. Also, just because you aren’t getting flashed or pulled over for your lights, doesn’t mean you’re doing it right.

I get it, you have a lot invested into Baja Design lights in your extremely expensive build and without a doubt they make some excellent lights. However, remove your bias for a second and recognize when a company/venders should better communicate with customers when they know a product isn’t meeting specifications. Until recently, that hasn’t happened here on this forum. Only time its discussed is when a customer (or potential customer) brings it up and even then the truth of the matter at hand is incorrectly glossed over.

If you are still confused and or just need further clarification, see below to potentially clear a clouded mind.

The importance of beam patterns

What is SAE J583 and why does it matter for fogs?

SAE J583 is the official designation of the fog beam pattern, it specifies a very wide beam with a flat horizontal cut off allowing no light above the cut off horizon. This is critical in a fog application for multiple reasons, the first being the purpose of the fog light is to put the light beam low and wide so that the driver can find the edges of the road at low speed without causing the beam to break the horizon and reflect light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust, which reduces visibility in the conditions that the fog is primarily designed for. The clean cut off also allows this beam to be run in oncoming traffic without blinding oncoming drivers, unlike any other pod beam pattern. All other patterns like wide cornering, spot, flood, driving, diffused ect do not have cut offs to run in oncoming traffic and should be considered for high beam use or off road use only. While each of those other patterns serves a specific purpose, none will illuminate the edges of the roadway without reflecting light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust conditions or be safe to use in oncoming traffic, making them a poor choice for true fog light use.”

368B4758-6181-4048-8DBC-51FFBB14C050.jpeg

“Wide Cornering beam – including Baja Designs. The wide cornering pattern is commonly misunderstood. Wide cornering emits light in all directions (horizontal and vertical) in a wide angle, this effectively creates a wall of light which is great for effectively illuminating a wide near field area off road. While the beam width will illuminate the side of the road very well (unlike spot) it will reflect significant light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust and emit massive amounts of glare to oncoming drivers due to lack of cut off and wide vertical projection. The pattern is very distributed making it not ideal for distance projection and will put out less light in the fog area than a dedicated equivalent fog beam. It should be considered for offroad use or high beam use only. Note in the photo, where with all other patterns you cannot see the deck above the garage, these lights cast shadows of the deck railing against the 2nd story and actually illuminate the 3rd story of my house.”

62C88B4B-EE49-4B40-8E85-299C00065964.jpeg

“What oncoming drivers see with Wide Cornering. Rigid 1760 lumen SAE Fog pod (left) vs Baja Designs Squadron WC 1800 lumen pod (right). The massive glare isn't due to brightness, as the lights are almost equal, it is due to beam pattern and lack of cut off.”

B880CF6E-A88E-4C5E-A503-571723F6D607.jpeg

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Was never worked up, just pointing out the facts of the situation and the discrepancies of both Baja Designs and their vendors.

Kinda funny how you claim you “don’t understand what the big deal is with the SAE business” and “unless I need to go stupid fast for some reason, I've never even considered turning on the auxiliary lights on my raptor while on a public roadway”. Yet, you are improperly aiming your auxiliary off road lightning on your Super Duty to make it usable on the street and use it frequently (10s of thousands of miles). Perhaps, if you used the correct lightning application for the situation you would understand the SAE business. Also, just because you aren’t getting flashed or pulled over for your lights, doesn’t mean you’re doing it right.

I get it, you have a lot invested into Baja Design lights in your extremely expensive build and without a doubt they make some excellent lights. However, remove your bias for a second and recognize when a company/venders should better communicate with customers when they know a product isn’t meeting specifications. Until recently, that hasn’t happened here on this forum. Only time its discussed is when a customer (or potential customer) brings it up and even then the truth of the matter at hand is incorrectly glossed over.

If you are still confused and or just need further clarification, see below to potentially clear a clouded mind.

The importance of beam patterns

What is SAE J583 and why does it matter for fogs?

SAE J583 is the official designation of the fog beam pattern, it specifies a very wide beam with a flat horizontal cut off allowing no light above the cut off horizon. This is critical in a fog application for multiple reasons, the first being the purpose of the fog light is to put the light beam low and wide so that the driver can find the edges of the road at low speed without causing the beam to break the horizon and reflect light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust, which reduces visibility in the conditions that the fog is primarily designed for. The clean cut off also allows this beam to be run in oncoming traffic without blinding oncoming drivers, unlike any other pod beam pattern. All other patterns like wide cornering, spot, flood, driving, diffused ect do not have cut offs to run in oncoming traffic and should be considered for high beam use or off road use only. While each of those other patterns serves a specific purpose, none will illuminate the edges of the roadway without reflecting light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust conditions or be safe to use in oncoming traffic, making them a poor choice for true fog light use.”

View attachment 133453

“Wide Cornering beam – including Baja Designs. The wide cornering pattern is commonly misunderstood. Wide cornering emits light in all directions (horizontal and vertical) in a wide angle, this effectively creates a wall of light which is great for effectively illuminating a wide near field area off road. While the beam width will illuminate the side of the road very well (unlike spot) it will reflect significant light back at the driver in rain/fog/snow/dust and emit massive amounts of glare to oncoming drivers due to lack of cut off and wide vertical projection. The pattern is very distributed making it not ideal for distance projection and will put out less light in the fog area than a dedicated equivalent fog beam. It should be considered for offroad use or high beam use only. Note in the photo, where with all other patterns you cannot see the deck above the garage, these lights cast shadows of the deck railing against the 2nd story and actually illuminate the 3rd story of my house.”

View attachment 133454

“What oncoming drivers see with Wide Cornering. Rigid 1760 lumen SAE Fog pod (left) vs Baja Designs Squadron WC 1800 lumen pod (right). The massive glare isn't due to brightness, as the lights are almost equal, it is due to beam pattern and lack of cut off.”

View attachment 133455

if you're that unhappy, take them off of your truck and return them to BD. I just don't understand the point of complaining this much. I also still don't get your point. I'm doing it right if it works.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're that unhappy, take them off of your truck and return them to BD. I just don't understand the point of complaining this much. I also still don't get your point. I'm doing it right if it works.

I’m not unhappy and I don’t own the lights, so I have nothing to return. I’m also not complaining, just clarifying what BD and vendors on here haven’t, unless brought up by customers and then glossed over, yet they have known about this for months.

I’m glad you think you’re doing it right cause it works for you. Ignorance is bliss.

If you need a phillips screwdriver for a flathead screw, just let me know.