Uh crap. Wheel hub blew out (Integrated Wheel End, IWE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok... I'm thinking the best thing to do now is call the dealership tomorrow and ask them if this is under warranty. If it is, its their problem. If not, I'll get quotes on parts and go from there.

Just to confirm with ya'll... I can drive the truck in 4wd without any concern, right?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If driven long enough with the noise it could do damage to the splines so Yes. It still being under warranty usually only the hub would be replaced unless extensive damge to the axle is doen, they are pretty stout gears on the axle they can take a beating. the hub vacuum seal runs around 130 dollars. That is what I am thinking is the issue you have the the rubber broke breaking the seal. If you tear the axle down like doing your perch adjustment remove the 13mm nut on the axle and pull it out of the wheels hub. Then there are three 8mm bolts that hold the vacuum part on to the wheel knuckle when you take off those three bolts you can inspect it for damage more then likely they seal will be all scrunched up.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

not fair you beat me to the answer.!:birgits_tiredcoffee

Lol.

Ok... I'm thinking the best thing to do now is call the dealership tomorrow and ask them if this is under warranty. If it is, its their problem. If not, I'll get quotes on parts and go from there.

Just to confirm with ya'll... I can drive the truck in 4wd without any concern, right?

Deff check on warranty first. I wouldn't drive it in 4x4 on the pavement. Im thinkin you should be fine to UN plug that hub, plug the line and drive it like that in 2wd. It will turn the cv shaft and side gear in the diff, but it won't bind up anything like its in four wheel or cause a lot of wear on anything.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score

I'm off topic and being lazy but i have question. You installed truckzz leveling kit I' just wondering what your ride height is. ReasonisINeed more room and am debating to change perch or do leveling kit.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So this is a leak in ESOF (electronic shift on fly) system like the ones common in Ford superduty? And if it is the same thing then would it be the two yellow o-rings in the knuckle and one the hub that needs replaced? Just curious if it is the same?

-Greg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer is only a couple miles away from my office, so I did drive it in, I filled out the early drop off paperwork explaining the issue and asked for a call regarding the warranty. I'll update tomorrow when I hear back.

Seriously guys, PA, jd... thank you very much. It feels a WHOLE lot better being able to say "I think the issue is X Y Z" on the paperwork, rather than having to say "Eek!!". I'm in a much better position to talk with them intellegently now 'cause of you, and I think that fact alone might very well save me hundreds of dollars in all of this. First round of beers is on me whenever we meet! :peace:

I'm off topic and being lazy but i have question. You installed truckzz leveling kit I' just wondering what your ride height is. ReasonisINeed more room and am debating to change perch or do leveling kit.
Here's some good toilet reading I'd strongly suggest ya check out before deciding which way to go. http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/leveling-front-spacers-not-perch-adjustment-5235/

To answer your question specifically, here are the before and after pics

Before
10.jpg

After
11.jpg

And here's my rear for comparison purposes
12.jpg

jdowens1

Reaction score
So this is a leak in ESOF (electronic shift on fly) system like the ones common in Ford superduty? And if it is the same thing then would it be the two yellow o-rings in the knuckle and one the hub that needs replaced? Just curious if it is the same?

-Greg

Actually only the superduties use there 4x4 with PVH(pulse vacuum hub) which used high vacuum to engage and low vacuum to disengage. The f-150 hubs like when there is 0 vacuum applied to the hub then a vacuum say booster releases splines and they match up to the axle creating your 4 wheel lock. f-150 when the key is off will release all vacuum and hubs normal position is engages. Anyways they are similar but two different systems.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good news! The hub, technically called the Integrated Wheel End (IWE), is covered under the power train warranty! Good call guys.

So now we're waiting to get the part in, and then it should go back together pretty quickly.

Thanks again!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news! The hub, technically called the Integrated Wheel End (IWE), is covered under the power train warranty! Good call guys.

So now we're waiting to get the part in, and then it should go back together pretty quickly.

Thanks again!

Woot!!!! Thats a relief huh... lol

jdowens1

Reaction score

Thanks again!

I never liked fords name for the IWE. I'm glad you got it covered under warranty. Ford covers a lot of things over over the bumper to bumper. There warranty part coverage has sure gotten better over last few years.