Tyt th9000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have it ready for TRR lab?
Well it would be ready but not necessary since I highly doubt I can attend. Most likely won't make any events for a while. Still deciding on timing but appears my orthopedic surgeon is going to sideline me for quite a while.

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a noob question for the permanent mounting, from what I understand if you would mount it in the center of your roof, that the roof creates a larger plane for signal/receiption, as opposed to having it mounted futher towards the back/bed of the roof? Is this correct? my concern for this question is, if I wanted to do a roof mount, I have a sun/moon roof, and that would not allow me to mount in the center of the roof. I currently do not have a true moblie unit, as I am running a Baoefeng, hand held, with a magnetic roof mount antenna, it does an ok job when at events, but if I would upgrade, am I just getting better receiption?

Thank you

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Joe - you are getting better reception and you are transmitting a stronger signal. If You where in the back of a pack, your lead truck would be able to hear you more clearly.

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a noob question for the permanent mounting, from what I understand if you would mount it in the center of your roof, that the roof creates a larger plane for signal/receiption, as opposed to having it mounted futher towards the back/bed of the roof? Is this correct? my concern for this question is, if I wanted to do a roof mount, I have a sun/moon roof, and that would not allow me to mount in the center of the roof. I currently do not have a true moblie unit, as I am running a Baoefeng, hand held, with a magnetic roof mount antenna, it does an ok job when at events, but if I would upgrade, am I just getting better receiption?

Thank you

There is a lot of good information here KØBG.COM

The easiest thing to do is drop the headliner and see how far forward you can get it. also try to avoid drilling into supports

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not a radio tech guy but I wonder how much difference a foot or so would make.

Mines at the back just a few I inches from the read edge installed in the bulge for the third brake light and I had full and solid reception at snoball.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see so many people mount it there. The problem with that its sloped there. That angles the antenna back and creates goofy radiation patterns. When you are close to people you wont notice it. Its when you are 20+ miles away when you'll notice it.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not a radio tech guy but I wonder how much difference a foot or so would make.

Mines at the back just a few I inches from the read edge installed in the bulge for the third brake light and I had full and solid reception at snoball.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Depends on your antenna type, if you utilize a no base plane antenna it won't matter.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Different wave length. @kanarky had a thread about it.

A no base plane antenna works as stated. It can be mounted anywhere. However even it will function better with a 3'x3' base plane.
A base plane antenna is typically much shorter in length and requires a flat plane. Ideally 3'x3' for best performance. It uses a different wavelength than a no-base plane.