GEN 2 Tyre rotation and TPMS sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to rotate the tires and i have no idea what i have to do with the pressure sensors in order to be in a real position on the screen. I could not find topics about this.
My front sensor will be at rear and vice-versa. I need the forescan?
Please help me with detailed explanation of what i need to do.
I am in europe and no help from ford.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't done mine yet, but someone here posted the same question and was told that the truck learns the new wheel positions and you don't have to do a thing.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ This is right, computer understands position of each wheel.
Spare tire under truck has no TPMS, so no signal from that one if you rotate it into your corners.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The system DOES NOT automatically know the position of each wheel/tire assembly when they are moved to a different position on the vehicle.

The system only knows the sensor ID and the position that said sensor ID has been trained to. When you rotate the tires you need to perform the TPMS reset outlined in the Owner’s Manual:

Performing the System Reset Procedure
Read the entire procedure before attempting.
1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph
(32 km/h) for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
4. Switch the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If you successfully enter the reset mode, the horn sounds once, the system indicator flashes and a message shows in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message shows in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.
5. Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order: Left front - driver side front tire, Right front - passenger side front tire, Right rear - passenger side rear tire - Left rear, driver side rear tire.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn tone confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and you must repeat it.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained, driver side rear tire, the system indicator stops flashing, and a message shows in the information display.
10. Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and you must repeat it. If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The system DOES NOT automatically know the position of each wheel/tire assembly when they are moved to a different position on the vehicle.

The system only knows the sensor ID and the position that said sensor ID has been trained to. When you rotate the tires you need to perform the TPMS reset outlined in the Owner’s Manual:

Performing the System Reset Procedure
Read the entire procedure before attempting.
1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph
(32 km/h) for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
4. Switch the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If you successfully enter the reset mode, the horn sounds once, the system indicator flashes and a message shows in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message shows in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.
5. Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order: Left front - driver side front tire, Right front - passenger side front tire, Right rear - passenger side rear tire - Left rear, driver side rear tire.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn tone confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and you must repeat it.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained, driver side rear tire, the system indicator stops flashing, and a message shows in the information display.
10. Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and you must repeat it. If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer

Where the hell did this come from? Sounds like a joke just to mess with you. I've never had to do a reset. Trucks learns just fine

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where the hell did this come from? Sounds like a joke just to mess with you. I've never had to do a reset. Trucks learns just fine

Directly from the Owners Manual.

The truck doesn’t “learn just fine”, it has no way of knowing the physical position of each tire unless you train it.

If you don’t train the tires, the readings in the message center will not correspond to the indicated tire.

DrewFish11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The process is very straight forward. The vehicle walks you through the entire procedure. I do it every time I rotate my tires. Give it a try.

I have a cheap little auto parts store deflated that I just screw on the valve stem. Let the system recognize the deflated air. Hear the honk and then move to the next wheel. At the very end, fill them all back up to your desired pressure.

The procedure outlined above is by the book and reads more intimidating than it actually is.

If you can find your hazard light button you can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Directly from the Owners Manual.

The truck doesn’t “learn just fine”, it has no way of knowing the physical position of each tire unless you train it.

If you don’t train the tires, the readings in the message center will not correspond to the indicated tire.

@FordTechOne, that process you quote may well be in the manual, and it has been quoted several times before in these forums, but I can guarantee you that I have never done it in my 2018 802A / Tech SCREW, and my truck knows where each tire is. I have well over 50,000 miles on my truck, I rotate the tires every oil change, and I try to change oil every 3000 miles. Sometimes I procrastinate and go a bit longer, so the average is probably something like every 4000 - 4500 miles. That means I have rotated the tires more than 10 times, probably something like 12+.

I have never done that procedure as outlined. In fact I have never "trained" my truck in any way as to tire location.

I run 36 lbs front and 33 lbs rear. During each oil change I set the tires to my desired pressures, meaning the now old rear / now fronts need to be brought up to 36 lbs, and the now rears brought down to 33 lbs. Immediately after tire rotation the dash indicator is, of course, wrong, showing the wrong pressures in the wrong places. But after some period of driving, in my case roughly 5 miles total, a couple miles before I get to town from the house, the tire locations and pressures are correct on the dash.

T!