Tyre pliers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GR8PMKN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tool did not gouge, nick, or damage the factory aluminum wheels in any way...

The Raptor TPMS sensors are valve stem mounted, not banded.

Do you own the tool Mark?

In my 17 years experience working at an after market wheel manufacture tools like these that were made of steel and required force most always damaged the wheel surface or the bead seat of the wheel. I have left that company in 2007 so improvements could have happened in that industry. I was judging based on the video and prior experience. My prior employer manufactured wheels for the big three so I have had the opportunity to see many a preproduction product. Yes that does include the Raptor.

Your right on the sensor stems I was not thinking about the Raptor design TPSM. I worked on the S-197 project (mustang) witch uses banded sensors and a flat drop-well that's what I had on my mind.

Good find for a trail fix in a pinch.

OP
OP
MarkT

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you own the tool Mark?

SNIP

Yes... and I broke the outer bead loose on all four tires and the inner bead on one (the first one... and then I discovered I could install the TPMS by just breaking the outer bead).

The way the tool works it doesn't slide or rub on the rim as you operate the lever so no gouging or damage I could see or feel. I suppose you could damage something but by following the instructions and using a little care when placing the tool in position, I didn't. (I was concerned too but the manufacturer says the tool is safe for alloy wheels and in my experience they were correct.)

(As far as the "two fat guys" method... been there, done that in the past on other tires... The Raptor beads are seated pretty good and the sidewalls are pretty soft and flexible... I doubt you'd have much luck.)