Tuners/Vendors/Dynos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F150SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else.....I need more power. Not sure why.....but I NEED more power! :gr_grin: :gr_grin: Its a man thing.....If you are a woman, you probably wouldn't understand...J/K :gr_grin:

One of the things I started looking at, are tuners. I have seen some of the posts about some of the different tuners. So...I fired off an email to another tuner manufacturer(Bully Dog) inquiring to see if they made tuners for the Raptor. This is the response I received.

Hi Michael,

I apologize, but as the Raptor is essentially tuned by Ford before it comes off of the assembly line, we do not offer an additional tune for it.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience,

This got me wondering...Has anyone seen any dyno numbers from someone who does not manufacture a tuner? The only numbers I have seen have been provided by the manufacturers of the tuners.

Some of you who purchased them will say you have "seen an increase in performance". I have been down this road before and purchased something because someone "said" they saw an increase in performance. Like everyone else who read it, I went out and purchased it! I actually saw a decrease in performance after I added that after market part.

I realize all of these manufacturers have a reputation and would never "fudge" the numbers to sell products.

I wonder how hard it would be to manipulate the dyno numbers to make them "appear" more in their favor? What could be done to make the numbers work for them?

Maybe the first dyno was done with a cold truck, and second dyno(added tune) was done immediately after first dyno? This would have warmed all of the fluids and grease for the second dyno.

Have any of you had your truck on a dyno to see if it actually had any gains?

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree....

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
all i can say is the tuners don't add peak HP, they allow gains in HP at lower RPMs, harder shifts, higher shifts(catching the next gear @ higher RPMs than stock) and increased throttle response. it's definitely a black and white difference but gas mileage suffers. the truck definitely runs faster....here's a vid of my 5.4 on the SCT tuner(which I have since removed-but don't get me started)

*when i said my mileage was much improved this video was part 2 of a video where i ******* about 8.5MPG. much improved meant...10.5*

see how i was 3/4 throttle and it was pretty equal to the floor "stock" and how 2nd gear took me to 60 where stock i'm grabbing 3rd right before 60.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/BIRDMAN1385/?action=view&current=VID00014-20100520-2244.flv

OP
OP
F150SVT

F150SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All one has to do is to put it in tow/haul mode or offroad and it changes the shift points and performance.

Anyone seen any dyno numbers that compare normal mode, tow/mode mode, and offroad mode?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
All one has to do is to put it in tow/haul mode or offroad and it changes the shift points and performance.

Anyone seen any dyno numbers that compare normal mode, tow/mode mode, and offroad mode?

the T/H and ORM don't necessarily change the engine's tuning...it's mainly the shift points and throttle response. From the driver's seat the ORM holds gears under lighter throttle than normal and seems to eliminate too much downshifting which could result in the rear end kicking out in loose packed sand. T/H mode just stays in a lower gear and downshifts hard under acceleration due to coasting or hard braking.