Truck making a clunking noise - Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that the Ford Fox Shox are rebuildable by Fox because they don't have Schrader valves so I can't repressurize them myself with the tools I have... (all the shocks I've rebuilt/revalved had Schraders... including Fox)

You just never know what kind of deal Fox has with Ford... Fox could have been prohibited from working on the Raptor shocks and/or selling the parts such as the special shock fluid the Raptor is supposed to have.

Before I paid $600+ each I would definitely pursue rebuilding... The seals are probably standard parts... and it probably would not be impossible to install Schraders... the only unknown is the fluid cost and availability.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that the Ford Fox Shox are rebuildable by Fox because they don't have Schrader valves so I can't repressurize them myself with the tools I have... (all the shocks I've rebuilt/revalved had Schraders... including Fox)

You just never know what kind of deal Fox has with Ford... Fox could have been prohibited from working on the Raptor shocks and/or selling the parts such as the special shock fluid the Raptor is supposed to have.

Before I paid $600+ each I would definitely pursue rebuilding... The seals are probably standard parts... and it probably would not be impossible to install Schraders... the only unknown is the fluid cost and availability.
Fox is not prohibited from working on the shock for you so that won't be a problem, as far as breaking them down I would have to take a look at them cause Im not really sure how you get the nitrogen out of them without a schrader valve. That's kinda odd to me and Im intrigued by this.
I've read people comment on this special oil in the Raptor shocks quite a few times, and I'm very curious as to what it is that different than say a shock that we would run on our prerunners or race trucks.
My guess is that its just a play on words to make it seem better than it really is.
IMO there's no way a Raptor shock is going to have better oil than say my 3.0's or a 4.4 bi-pass at $35 a gallon, but that's just my opinion until someone can show me what oil is used

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fox is not prohibited from working on the shock for you so that won't be a problem, as far as breaking them down I would have to take a look at them cause Im not really sure how you get the nitrogen out of them without a schrader valve. That's kinda odd to me and Im intrigued by this.
I've read people comment on this special oil in the Raptor shocks quite a few times, and I'm very curious as to what it is that different than say a shock that we would run on our prerunners or race trucks.
My guess is that its just a play on words to make it seem better than it really is.
IMO there's no way a Raptor shock is going to have better oil than say my 3.0's or a 4.4 bi-pass at $35 a gallon, but that's just my opinion until someone can show me what oil is used

It looks like there's a rubber plug where the schrader would normally be on the rear shocks. (I haven't looked at the front that closely) It could be that they use a needle or something to charge the nitrogen? Or maybe like Bilsteins it takes a special fixture.

The comments on the oil also make me curious... the one quote I remember was something like "the oil we use in each shock costs more than our competitors entire shock". Now they could be talking about garden-variety shocks on regular cars and/or exaggerating a little bit...

I agree that they would probably use the same oil in all their racing shocks if it was better... and the oil in the Raptor shock is red which is the color of the high-temp Fox oil sold for use in their bypass shocks... I'd bet they probably use the "off-the shelf" red oil in the Raptor as it is great oil.

SDHQ GOODGUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that they would probably use the same oil in all their racing shocks if it was better... and the oil in the Raptor shock is red which is the color of the high-temp Fox oil sold for use in their bypass shocks... I'd bet they probably use the "off-the shelf" red oil in the Raptor as it is great oil.[/QUOTE]

MARKETING at it's best, I would bet it's all the same oil.

billiards101

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New here and new to the Raptor. Just drove it home yesterday 640 miles on the odometer. I appreciate all the valuable information on this forum, it was one of the main reasons I decided on the Raptor.

I've also heard and felt the clunking over smaller bumps at lower speeds (under 40 MPH) and can also feel it in the accelerator pedal. This is my 2nd truck. I haven't had a chance to drive another raptor yet. I guess it's something I can live with, but it's not a normal noise I've heard in pickups before. As soon as I have a chance I will check out a few of the possible fixes mentioned in the thread. By the way mine is a 2010 6.2, I believe the build date was in Sept of 2010.

Good Driving!

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New here and new to the Raptor. Just drove it home yesterday 640 miles on the odometer. I appreciate all the valuable information on this forum, it was one of the main reasons I decided on the Raptor.

I've also heard and felt the clunking over smaller bumps at lower speeds (under 40 MPH) and can also feel it in the accelerator pedal. This is my 2nd truck. I haven't had a chance to drive another raptor yet. I guess it's something I can live with, but it's not a normal noise I've heard in pickups before. As soon as I have a chance I will check out a few of the possible fixes mentioned in the thread. By the way mine is a 2010 6.2, I believe the build date was in Sept of 2010.

Good Driving!

yup thats my noise! I did hear a louder one just yesterday when I tested it over speed bumps at about 25-30, yikes.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to bump this thread, but good to know I am not crazy! If you google "annoying rattle in front end" it will take you to that "other" site Forumz, yea I known, sorry. But there is a 12 page thread talking about this same issue, and MANY others are having it. I am getting some what pissed that so many have the same issue I have, and posted about, and it seems Ford and Fox are ignoring it, writing it off to "normal" noise. Please go take a look guys and see what YOU think!

OP
OP
N

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since I haven't been following the thread I started back in the day let me provide an update...especially since SNK pointed out the link.

The clunking I was experiencing is still there, like has been described, while driving over speed bumps at slow speeds and driving on the beach. I have had two shocks replaced, not directly related to the noise, since I first noticed the sound.

I have checked, or had checked, the secureness of the spare tire, secureness of leveling kit, secureness of all suspension components.

The sound, when I do hear it, comes from the front left hand (driver's side) of the vehicle. To me, it feels suspension related and acts suspension related.

Things haven't changed, I don't drive the Raptor that often and am working on 8K on the odo so I don't have to deal with it everyday like some people who are experiencing it.

To mrpork, it really doesn't affect the daily/normal operations of the vehicle.

My two cents and they won't change until FMC does something about the issue.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after reading that whole 12 page thread, some guys do have different noises, some in the rear, but MANY or MOST have the same one I mentioned here the first post, it is the FRONT end, and you can hear and even feel it in the accelerator pedal. Low speeds over small street bumps seem the worse. I have never even been off road yea (yea no comments lol) but this has been there since day one. I only have 3k on the truck, and do not drive it daily, but regardless MANY have the issue, so it is not your imagination, and by all means NOT normal. I took it to the dealer, who drove it, and I got the same message, NORMAL. NOT! This is an issue and needs to be tracked and corrected.