Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apache

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 Screw that I purchased brand new. Was having weird things happen with the gearbox revving and slamming into different gears. The dealer took a while to get me booked in and now they are suggesting I purchase a brand new box. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I don't do a lot of off-roading particularly. I must have used 4WD not even a dozen times since I've had the truck. I have no performance mods whatsoever. Surely Ford could do a better job of this gearbox. Is this common?

In the same week I had the pulley on my 2020 GT500 fail. I'm falling out of love with Ford quick fast. Thankfully that was under warranty. The Raptor gearbox is going to cost a pretty penny cause I have to ship it out of the US. I bought this truck because it was supposed to be a brick *********, but it certainly isn't living up to the hype.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The most common thing with the 10r80 is overfilling at service, otherwise failures are rare. I know that doesn’t help you; for you the failure rate is 100% :-/

The 10r80 is not new and a good transmission shop should be able to rebuild, replacing the failed parts good as new. Unless there were case or other hard part failures.

DFS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 Screw that I purchased brand new. Was having weird things happen with the gearbox revving and slamming into different gears. The dealer took a while to get me booked in and now they are suggesting I purchase a brand new box. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I don't do a lot of off-roading particularly. I must have used 4WD not even a dozen times since I've had the truck. I have no performance mods whatsoever. Surely Ford could do a better job of this gearbox. Is this common?

In the same week I had the pulley on my 2020 GT500 fail. I'm falling out of love with Ford quick fast. Thankfully that was under warranty. The Raptor gearbox is going to cost a pretty penny cause I have to ship it out of the US. I bought this truck because it was supposed to be a brick *********, but it certainly isn't living up to the hype.
It is 6 years old, does that count for anything? How many miles? How is it used?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

No. Find a different dealer. These transmissions are fully serviceable, they are trying to increase their profit margin by just selling you a unit. It is likely as simple as a valve sticking in the main control, which only involves dropping the pan to service.
Wow, a pulley. Not exactly a devastating issue. Ford identified the issue and released a new revised pulley service part so the entire S/C doesn’t need to be replaced. What more are you asking for? There are no brands with zero issues.

ShockerFL

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 raptor with the 10 speed transmission. After 3000 miles short trip to Texas and back I had the oil and filter and fluid changed on the transmission being pro Act. 44 miles out of the dealership the transmission slips shifts all of a sudden to lower gears hard shifting back. Seems pretty typical for the. I also found the area as a class action suit in regards to. Put a bulletin out. on it September 23 it’s the most updated bulletin I could find online. My trucks been at the shop two days now. With no word from the dealer. I’ve carefully documented everything and have a copy of the bulletin I hope that somehow the transmission can be replaced with a current model 10 speed that doesn’t have these issues

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The <2023 10R80 has at least one major flaw thats been corrected recently. Here is the info…

Here’s another later version about the issue…

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 raptor with the 10 speed transmission. After 3000 miles short trip to Texas and back I had the oil and filter and fluid changed on the transmission being pro Act. 44 miles out of the dealership the transmission slips shifts all of a sudden to lower gears hard shifting back. Seems pretty typical for the. I also found the area as a class action suit in regards to. Put a bulletin out. on it September 23 it’s the most updated bulletin I could find online. My trucks been at the shop two days now. With no word from the dealer. I’ve carefully documented everything and have a copy of the bulletin I hope that somehow the transmission can be replaced with a current model 10 speed that doesn’t have these issues
so it was fine for 3k miles, you had dealership service on the transmission and 44 miles later you had a pretty serious problem.

I’ll just ask the whole class: Class, given the fact set above, what is the most likely cause of this failure?

Oh... And BINGO!
1717597210666.png

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a coincidence that it failed 44 miles after being serviced :rolleyes:

Whatever “bulletin” you have, it doesn’t apply to improper service. The dealer likely overfilled the transmission, causing fluid aeration and clutch slippage.

The dealer needs to correct set the level and address any damage they caused on their dime.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The <2023 10R80 has at least one major flaw thats been corrected recently. Here is the info…

Here’s another later version about the issue…
Soooooo my Pinon/bearing saga from another thread has turned down this road. After electing to have my transmission filter replaced/fresh fluid while in for the pinion service, I started having whirling noise under initial acceleration. Then under moderate to heavy acceleration 1-2 slam shifts and 4-5 hard shifts. They are now not only addressing what was screwed up in the pinion service but now dropping the trans and looking at the CVF drum/bushing, whatever.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems it’s becoming an issue with some of the earlier (< ‘23) 10R60/80s. I have two of them, a 10R60 and a 10R80, but I’m not really worried about it as it isn’t wide-spread. It would be nice to know the full background on those that have the issue.

Maybe @FordTechOne can check into it