Truck got totaled help w/ value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BT, really sorry for your misfortune. Hope you get everything resolved and are back in the games soon. Have appreciated you on this forum.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah & that's kinda my concern this is a unique vehicle w/ a unique value point, & again being that I owned outright, they no longer produce the vehicle new, the used market is very strong & new market is obviously tight - its unique situation

Now having taken 48 hrs to reflect about it....I actually hope it isn't totaled, I started looking around @ local dealer inventory & have yet to find one that matches up closely to what I had - either stripped down ones (found 3 cloth interior Raps actually!) or FULLY FULLY loaded up $74-77k msrp & saw one that was new but had godawful aftermarket lift, wide offset wheels w/ 20"s - straight puke city.

In the very least I have the 2 side curtain airbags/headliner, the steering bag, the driver side door might be pinched, the front bumper/skidplates/headlights/grill/rad/IC/transfer case/driver side axle/driver front fender all toast, driver side front shock/suspension might be effected also. Don't think it got to the point where the engine itself was damaged/shifted but I'll find out this week

If its a scenario where body shop is just bolting on new fenders/bumper/grill & I'm getting a new transfer case/diff/axles/IC/rad its not the end of the world. I had just treated the whole frame/undercarriage w/ Amsoil HDMP too lol! My ORA pocket lights are toast luckily I have receipts for that.............I wanted to get the bumpers & skidplate done in linex anyhow so this is an opportunity for that......trying to turn a frown upside down lol
The way I look at is: hopefully you can keep this truck, especially with all of the new parts, 0 mileage parts, it's like going back in time. Nice new shiny headlights, etc. It's all in how you look at life. It's a truck, it doesn't feel any pain. Be glad you aren't missing an arm or leg from this. Hope she gets rebuilt and serves you well for years.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard to tell from one picture just how much damage was done. Just looking at the basic parts that you can see damaged and from what you said were damaged I took a quick look on Tasca`s website. I don`t know if your frame is bent, but if it is there is a replacement front frame rail section available or complete frame also on their site. I took 3 general airbags, steering ,knee, passenger. I don`t know if you have the pre-collision braking on your truck. Here is a quick basic list without any extra parts, no trim or hardware or small parts. I could not see a price for a front diff, and you mentioned the transfer case was damaged too. The insurance company might only cover OEM parts unless you buy it back and then you can go with aftermarket parts,IC,Bumper,Skid plate,Headlights etc

$1810. Front bumper with end caps,mounting brackets
$2180. LH and RH composite headlight
$743. Raptor Grille
$409. Intercooler
$700. Drivers and passengers side airbags and drivers knee airbag?
$230. Radiator
$1169. Skid plate
$3545. Frame rail
$ ??? Transfer case and front diff, driveshaft,mounts,etc.
$ ??? LABOR Ouch!!

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know it's hard to tell from one picture just how much damage was done. Just looking at the basic parts that you can see damaged and from what you said were damaged I took a quick look on Tasca`s website. I don`t know if your frame is bent, but if it is there is a replacement front frame rail section available or complete frame also on their site. I took 3 general airbags, steering ,knee, passenger. I don`t know if you have the pre-collision braking on your truck. Here is a quick basic list without any extra parts, no trim or hardware or small parts. I could not see a price for a front diff, and you mentioned the transfer case was damaged too. The insurance company might only cover OEM parts unless you buy it back and then you can go with aftermarket parts,IC,Bumper,Skid plate,Headlights etc

$1810. Front bumper with end caps,mounting brackets
$2180. LH and RH composite headlight
$743. Raptor Grille
$409. Intercooler
$700. Drivers and passengers side airbags and drivers knee airbag?
$230. Radiator
$1169. Skid plate
$3545. Frame rail
$ ??? Transfer case and front diff, driveshaft,mounts,etc.
$ ??? LABOR Ouch!!

Yeah I’ll find more out mon or tues I guess- but looked to me like the driver side axle was damaged along w/ the driver side fender & probably the door skin too because I heard it break & pinch when I opened it.

also- headliner & 3 airbags on driver side....

Could be totaled if they value it cheap

if they value it accurately it shouldn’t be.....but it’ll be close as you just racked up those figures alone

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like your truck took care of your business.

Sorry though. ******.

Hope things play out ok.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident. If she has high enough property damage limits, you shouldn’t have to involve your insurance company.

The salvage value on these is high, so they will look at what the vehicle is worth, say $58,000. They’ll deduct the salvage value say $29,000 as a wild guess as they would get about that back once the salvage sells at auction. So using those numbers to total it would cost them $29,000. There are also state laws in play, repair % of acv, frame replacements etc that vary by state regarding total losses. Then they’ll look at the repair costs, rental costs for 30-60 days possibly, diminished value claim and see how much that is. They may likely total it but I’d need some better pictures of the damage to be sure. Make sure you mention diminution of value if they repair it.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident. If she has high enough property damage limits, you shouldn’t have to involve your insurance company.

The salvage value on these is high, so they will look at what the vehicle is worth, say $58,000. They’ll deduct the salvage value say $29,000 as a wild guess as they would get about that back once the salvage sells at auction. So using those numbers to total it would cost them $29,000. There are also state laws in play, repair % of acv, frame replacements etc that vary by state regarding total losses. Then they’ll look at the repair costs, rental costs for 30-60 days possibly, diminished value claim and see how much that is. They may likely total it but I’d need some better pictures of the damage to be sure. Make sure you mention diminution of value if they repair it.
I don’t know what state you’re in but that’s not even close to how it works in PA. So unless you’re in the guy’s state, none of that math applies. In PA, it’s up to your insurance company to decide what it calls a total. Progressive says if the repair costs less than the loss, it gets f’in repaired. It’s not minus the salvage value. I’ve been through it. Others are more like 75-80% but nobody subtracts salvage value.

either way, money aside, objectively, that truck looks repairable and I’d keep it and drive if without worry. Most of what’s broken is a drop-in totally replaceable lego.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 2017 was totaled, they (insurance company) used comparable dealer sales locally to determine value. I was reimbursed a fair amount at the time that allowed me to get into a 2019.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what state you’re in but that’s not even close to how it works in PA. So unless you’re in the guy’s state, none of that math applies. In PA, it’s up to your insurance company to decide what it calls a total. Progressive says if the repair costs less than the loss, it gets f’in repaired. It’s not minus the salvage value. I’ve been through it. Others are more like 75-80% but nobody subtracts salvage value.

either way, money aside, objectively, that truck looks repairable and I’d keep it and drive if without worry. Most of what’s broken is a drop-in totally replaceable lego.

As someone that worked in the industry for 14 years for multiple companies covering 25+ states I can tell you that’s how it works. If the company has to spend $45,000 to fix a truck that is worth $60k but can total it, pay the owner the $60k and sell the salvage for $25,000 and save $2000 in rental and $5000 in diminished value payments, it only costs the insurance company $35k instead of repairing it for $52,000 ($45k plus $7,000 in rental and diminished value).

The vehicle owner is unaware of most of this and it’s not always just money. It’s customer goodwill, parts availability, etc. There’s also going to be a sizable supplement once a vehicle with $20,000+ in repairs gets torn down and repairs are started.