Truck got totaled help w/ value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 got rear ended. Rear bumber smashed in a bit from the left side. Not much else in terms of damage from the outside.However, because the tow hooks were bent and they were connected to the frame, they did a whole frame replacement!

It really bothered me because I didn’t want to drive a truck with that kind of history. But the insurance company did not deem it totaled. Presumably because the cost to repair was much less than a new truck.

After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that a new frame isn’t such a bad thing. So here I am..

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, feel your pain. Hope everyone is ok. Good luck with getting another Raptor...

BMONTES

Reaction score
Oh man, sorry to hear this. I know what you mean, I’ve had a few people hit me in previous vehicles and it’s annoying to carry that accident stigma on the carfax. I too would be hopeful for it to be totaled. Honestly, myself and my family have had the best luck when getting cashed out on a totaled vehicle. Goof luck

Totaled

Reaction score
I bought a totaled 2018 Raptor after having watched their resell value at auction. Raptors are expensive to rebuild. The parts are expensive and do not seem to be readily available. Labor is crazy expensive because of the aluminum body which many auto body shops are not qualified for. Bear in mind if the insurance company offers you $60k they will be taking about a $30k hit. As any body shop will tell you, some insurance companies are better than others.

With an aftermarket tuner, some repair shops won't want to touch it. Not sure what the insurance companies assess in terms of value with regard to tunes or upgrades unless it is specifically mentioned in your policy. You have too let the insurance companies know beforehand the value of these upgrades as I have done on a couple of specialty vehicles I own.

Consider selling to me the bed and snow tire/wheels off your truck.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First get yourself checked out with your Doc! Your best bet if they don’t total it is to let them fix her up and just sale it outright. Sorry this happened to you and yes bill them for all your cost.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad does your back and neck hurt? I would suggest being checked out, back pain can crop up later in life, and if you absolve the insurance company of any future compensation, you could come up on the short end of the stock, speaking from experience..

Yeah & that's kinda my concern this is a unique vehicle w/ a unique value point, & again being that I owned outright, they no longer produce the vehicle new, the used market is very strong & new market is obviously tight - its unique situation

Now having taken 48 hrs to reflect about it....I actually hope it isn't totaled, I started looking around @ local dealer inventory & have yet to find one that matches up closely to what I had - either stripped down ones (found 3 cloth interior Raps actually!) or FULLY FULLY loaded up $74-77k msrp & saw one that was new but had godawful aftermarket lift, wide offset wheels w/ 20"s - straight puke city.

In the very least I have the 2 side curtain airbags/headliner, the steering bag, the driver side door might be pinched, the front bumper/skidplates/headlights/grill/rad/IC/transfer case/driver side axle/driver front fender all toast, driver side front shock/suspension might be effected also. Don't think it got to the point where the engine itself was damaged/shifted but I'll find out this week

If its a scenario where body shop is just bolting on new fenders/bumper/grill & I'm getting a new transfer case/diff/axles/IC/rad its not the end of the world. I had just treated the whole frame/undercarriage w/ Amsoil HDMP too lol! My ORA pocket lights are toast luckily I have receipts for that.............I wanted to get the bumpers & skidplate done in linex anyhow so this is an opportunity for that......trying to turn a frown upside down lol

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your okay, so far. Don`t be a hero and think that your A-OK, Take it from someone who was T-***** on his motorcycle and was hurt, but 12-14 months later when my supposed soft tissue damage turned out to be a bulged disc that herniated and then ruptured taking the another damaged disc with it and that turned into a 2 level fusion at L4/L5-L5/S1.

I had no other choice than surgery because of the nerve damage that was causing the loss of the stability in me just being able to stand, let alone the issues with my legs and feet and not to mention the pain!!

Oh and as far as suing her that was out of the question due to her being here illegally and driving a non insured car and leaving the states a short time after the accident.

The insurance company totalled the bike and gave me book value and every aftermarket item that I had put on it was a loss, even though I had receipts for everything and I did have legal counsel representing me.

Take your time about the truck, TAKE CARE of yourself first! You can unmarry your tune and Gearheads will upload it to a new VIN, I think it may be called a revision $100. I would call them.

In NJ the option exists if your vehicle is totaled by the insurance company you can buy it back from them dirt cheap and then it will have a salvage title which you can repair and have it inspected and put it back on the road or buy it back and part it out. I would do a search on your state to see what the options are. Like it has been mentioned by others it will not be a cheap fix if done correctly, just look at the labor rates alone.

If I were in your position I would see what book value is, insurance companies use a different book for value, I would wait to see what they were going to give me and what it would cost to buy it back. If the numbers on fixing it were high I would buy a F150 until something I wanted came along or wait for the 2023 Raptor and sell the wrecked Raptor on your own and pocket the extra cash and put it along with the insurance money towards your new truck.

IMG_4035.JPG

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will make you feel better or worse but the front 18" or so of the frame is meant to bend away in an accident, and is welded in such a way as to be replaceable without affecting the structural integrity of the rest of the frame... that said if anything behind that weld is bent, (if memory serves that weld is just before the front lower control arm mount) that's where a frame replacement or total comes into play.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reality it can be fixed unfortunately it probably will be. But it's on the ding bats insurance until its maxed out then it's on you. But you can have the vehicle checked at your choice of body shops. Get it inspected even if you have to pay that cost upfront. Get her adjuster involved and find out the coverage limits so you know what your up against. Get your adjuster involved so your sure they will back you up. After inspection you will know how to jump and where. Try not to put the cart before the horse.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any help/advice/backup documentation anyone can provide to help me get the most $$$ from the ins company would be much appreciated. I feel like anything less than $60k and I’m getting Fd
If no real frame damage say $15K to $20K tops.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc