Tried to climb for the first time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Were you using trail control?

Interesting question. If the computer controls the brakes individually at each wheel, that would optimize traction. I wonder how close to 45 degrees you could get, say in Moab on that slickrock. I've skiied 45 degree slopes and it feels like a cliff. I could reach out and touch the slope with my hand and just standing took good edge control. I've seen tracks up and partway up slopes out near Moab that I guessed were around 40 degrees. I haven't been crawling in Moab for decades, I wonder if they've shut down a lot of those play areas?

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the 34 degree side angle at Raptor Assault is controlled with a very "sticky" surface. When I was there the instructor said in trail conditions you will likely slip before you can get to that angle and could potentially flip if the tires got caught while you slip. I don't have much off road experience...just relaying what they told our group.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pitch I'm sure the truck would lose traction and be unable to climb before it would flip over backward. The danger is that if you get into a control-loss situation you could start sliding backward and could roll the truck if it yaws left or right.

Regarding roll, we did 31 degrees at Raptor Assault and the instructor said they've had it to 36. He also made sure to point out that while the truck CAN stay on its tires at 36 degrees, the further over you go the less of a disturbance you need to roll it. Like at 35 degrees if you hit a golf ball sized rock it would impart enough force to start the truck rolling over, even through you hadn't technically exceeded its static limit. I'd be careful not to exceed 30 degrees of roll in the real world to leave a safety margin. In pitch I'd say don't worry about it as long as you feel you're in control.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the 34 degree side angle at Raptor Assault is controlled with a very "sticky" surface. When I was there the instructor said in trail conditions you will likely slip before you can get to that angle and could potentially flip if the tires got caught while you slip. I don't have much off road experience...just relaying what they told our group.

Yep I got the same caution at RA. Basically don't take it right to the limit in the real world, because real world conditions will cause you problems.

Killjoy

Reaction score
On airing down... we typically go 18-22psi when high speed offroading. However it seems to do fine at low speeds but definitely more stress on your steering. You can see about 20psi here maybe hitting 50+/-. Sorry for the shaky cam:

Rapster

Reaction score
I did Raptor Assault as well, just keep in mind that our 33-34 degree angles were on solid blown concrete that provided traction. In real life, especially on dirt or gravel, at that angle, traction could break causing a side hill slide. Such slide could encounter a root, rock, etc. and cause truck to roll.

just a thought on safety so new off-roaders don’t roll their new toys.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Classic newbie mistake is to try to climb something steep, lose traction, and then get sideways backing down. Same thing can happen if you see that you're not going to make it and attempt a U-turn. Another bad idea. Over you go. Over and over if it's a long climb. Don't do that. Straight up, straight down.