Tried to climb for the first time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am new to the raptor ( this is my first truck ever) and I have been playing in the sand and dirt to try and learn more about driving off road at speeds and I tried climbing for the first time yesterday.

My question is at what degree will my truck flip? I had my truck in sand/snow mode so the rear was locked and I was in 4H. I did not push it because I was alone and again I am very very new to this so I am just here looking for advice

20200608_174537.jpg

OP
OP
Kaz109

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good to know, 21 degrees is exactly where I was at. I guess I just how to learn how to climb as well as air down the tires?

Moridin

Reaction score
... and did about 21 degrees up/down.

Given my admittedly limited knowledge of physics, I'd still have to say it seems the truck could do a lot more than 21 degrees up/down before flipping head over tail (or vice-versa).

In the OP's pic it looks like he's at 21 degrees, and obviously is nowhere close to the nose coming up and over. I had my 2012 higher than 21 and felt no fear it was going to flip, unless I'm just missing something here...

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree (but I'm a lay person), I'd think if it can do 34 deg roll, it should be able to tolerate pitch of more than 34. But then add in yaw and i'm out of my league for sure.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is BIG truck with a big front end so it is a bit scary when going up steep inclines. Even on a flat road you can barely see what is in front of truck. So when you are on a steep climb you are looking at the sky. This is where the front camera and a spotter helps to reduce the stress of the driver not being able to see what he is driving on.

OP
OP
Kaz109

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is BIG truck with a big front end so it is a bit scary when going up steep inclines. Even on a flat road you can barely see what is in front of truck. So when you are on a steep climb you are looking at the sky. This is where the front camera and a spotter helps to reduce the stress of the driver not being able to see what he is driving on.
So from the pic I posted I should be fine climbing that ?

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good to know, 21 degrees is exactly where I was at. I guess I just how to learn how to climb as well as air down the tires?

At Raptor Assault, if I remember correctly, the rears were at 31-33 cold. Low enough that the TPMS sensors were going off.

I agree with others as well that our trucks can definitely handle more than 21 degrees up/down but that 34 degrees sideways, boy what an eerie feeling.

Also, if you have a MY19/20, give that trail control a try! It’s amazing what it can do going up and down those hills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter