Transmission Squeal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as most of you have probably gleaned from my plethora of problem posts, I did a number to my truck about a week ago. I have 90% of the issues tracked down but one major one left.

When the truck is under load/power there is a squeal from the drive train, and I am about 99% sure it is the transmission. It will always make a cherp/squeal going from 3rd to 4th when under any amount of power. If you are coasting it won't do it. 1st through 3rd you can get it to act right by driving very modest. 4th through 6th it makes the sound under any amount of power.

I was going to change the tranny fluid but it looks like it is going to be a major pain in the ass. Kind of wanted to get some verification before I go on a hunting expedition with 14 quarts of ATF.

It sounds like a computer case fan that is 10 years old and the bearings are going out...

Any help/insight is much appreciated.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i had a really loud squeal it ended up being the heat line restrictor that blew. it only made noise at high rpm.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will always make a cherp/squeal going from 3rd to 4th when under any amount of power. If you are coasting it won't do it. 1st through 3rd you can get it to act right by driving very modest. 4th through 6th it makes the sound under any amount of power.

From the 11B25 driveshaft notification:

"When torque is applied while accelerating from a stop or decelerating, the vehicle may exhibit a clunk/bump or a chirp noise."

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
That something that you can visibly tell happened?

no it's like a flow restrictor on the heater line. the guts break apart and as coolant floods your heater box it makes a high pitched whine/rattle

OP
OP
IoN6

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, don't think this is the same then. I can feel the truck "shake" for lack of a better word and feel it slow down/struggle.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Hmm, don't think this is the same then. I can feel the truck "shake" for lack of a better word and feel it slow down/struggle.

That's no good. You're under warranty, why even waste brain cells on it? Bring her in!