Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Unfortunately Ford asked them to send pictures of what was in the pan. They can't order until Ford ok's it. Hopefully just a formality. They are replacing the cooler also. The transmission is back ordered right now. They are trying to get the regional rep involved to fast track one. No telling how long this will take.

No job is done until the paperwork is complete...

I know this may not help or make you feel any better but, I work for a large company and when a part goes south, especially a new one, we are under a great deal of pressure for a root cause analysis and a failure analysis. We can’t actually do that without supporting data and... yup, you guys are good... the PART !

If we don’t get it back we have an unknown failure. The customer doesn’t get their F/A or RCA(complete anyway) and think about this.

How would you feel as a customer if your vendor told you, hey, wwgman, listen, I know we caused you a total internet outage for 17 hours and we know that it was a bad data switch, but as luck would have it, our parts guy lost the bad switch and ... well, we can’t analyze a part we can’t find, so we don’t actually know what happened. Our bad.

Now, not the same as a car maker / dealer, I know but parts replacements on new units are not cheap, and let’s be honest, the 2017 Raptor roll out was kind of a $hit show. At least you don’t have your dealer taking for granted they can just get another transmission, and scratching their butts when it doesn’t show up. They’re engaged in the problem resolution from your description. I hope they stay on top of it and get you 4 wheeling soon.

OP
OP
W

wwgman

Reaction score
Well the shit show continues. Ford has sent the pictures of the metal in the pan to an engineer who works on the transmissions. He has to be the one to allow the dealer to order a new transmission. The service manager who has my truck is doing all he can do. I told him today I would accept nothing other than a new tranny and he was in total agreement. I also told him I'm sorry but that truck needs to be in showroom condition when this is done. He agreed. My concern is the Raptor is wide enough that it is very hard for the mechanics to get in and out while it is on the lift without pushing the door into the rack. I want no door dings or scratches in the paint. There is no way with the transmission being back ordered it can get done this week and I will be out of the country the following week. My hope is that he can get this done over the next two weeks and I can pick it when I get home. You would think that someone out of Ford Performance would give you a call and reassure you that they will be sure when this is all done your truck will be perfect. Its one thing to have a problem and another thing when they don't do everything possible to help the dealer get the truck back to you ASAP. When this is all said and done they will have had my new truck for over 3 weeks. Doesn't seem right to me.

EXOTICLEX

Reaction score
that sucks wwgman, I would def be upset. I agree. Truck should be in showroom condition. Also I would see about getting some free oil change/tire rotations if you haven't already.

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the shit show continues. Ford has sent the pictures of the metal in the pan to an engineer who works on the transmissions. He has to be the one to allow the dealer to order a new transmission. The service manager who has my truck is doing all he can do. I told him today I would accept nothing other than a new tranny and he was in total agreement. I also told him I'm sorry but that truck needs to be in showroom condition when this is done. He agreed. My concern is the Raptor is wide enough that it is very hard for the mechanics to get in and out while it is on the lift without pushing the door into the rack. I want no door dings or scratches in the paint. There is no way with the transmission being back ordered it can get done this week and I will be out of the country the following week. My hope is that he can get this done over the next two weeks and I can pick it when I get home. You would think that someone out of Ford Performance would give you a call and reassure you that they will be sure when this is all done your truck will be perfect. Its one thing to have a problem and another thing when they don't do everything possible to help the dealer get the truck back to you ASAP. When this is all said and done they will have had my new truck for over 3 weeks. Doesn't seem right to me.

Have you reached out to Ford Service? I contacted them on Facebook, received a reply within an hour, and they have repeatedly checked on my truck's progress, the service manager's performance, and my satisfaction.

Every time I had an issue, they contacted the service manager and he fixed it. They also fixed his very rude and condescending demeanor.

OP
OP
W

wwgman

Reaction score
I finally reached my breaking point today and sent Ford a ugly Facebook post on the Ford Performance Facebook page. My truck has now been in Mountain Home Idaho sitting there for 10 days. The service manager seems to be doing what he can but the Corporate head quarters are just ridiculous. Pictures were sent to ford showing the metal in my transmission pan. They said the pictures had to be forwarded to the engineers and from there they had to be forwarded to an engineer that only works on the transmissions. What the hell! They will not allow my service manager to order the transmission until they OK it. I got a response saying they were sending my post to someone higher up the chain to see if they could get my truck fixed as soon as possible. Interestingly enough the salesman who I bought it from called me a little after that and got an ass chewing. Certainly not his fault but how about a call to see if anyone is helping me get this resolved. we will see if things progress any better.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I finally reached my breaking point today and sent Ford a ugly Facebook post on the Ford Performance Facebook page. My truck has now been in Mountain Home Idaho sitting there for 10 days. The service manager seems to be doing what he can but the Corporate head quarters are just ridiculous. Pictures were sent to ford showing the metal in my transmission pan. They said the pictures had to be forwarded to the engineers and from there they had to be forwarded to an engineer that only works on the transmissions. What the hell! They will not allow my service manager to order the transmission until they OK it. I got a response saying they were sending my post to someone higher up the chain to see if they could get my truck fixed as soon as possible. Interestingly enough the salesman who I bought it from called me a little after that and got an ass chewing. Certainly not his fault but how about a call to see if anyone is helping me get this resolved. we will see if things progress any better.

I can’t say I blame you, you’ve gotten a $hit deal and Ford needs to make this right. Again, I know this makes very little difference and I am saying only to give some context - From your last update to today was Saturday - Monday(Presidents day). In all likelihood, the engineer hasn’t even been made aware of this.

NOT that this is any kind of excuse. It’s not. If there’s only 1 engineer that can approve a transmission overhaul or replacement, that in and of itself is a huge problem that “significantly reduces the use and fair market value of the 2017 F150 with a 10 speed transmission” - all by itself.

Try to stay detached from the frustration you’re in the middle of right now. I have been there, though not on a vehicle anywhere near as expensive, it was my only transportation.

There is a reason why they want to see the actual damage, beyond bean counting, and that’s to see if there’s evidence of a ‘quicker fix’. Often times component level replacements are faster than a whole unit replacement. The type of metal could lead them to identify a particular part and if it does, it’s potentially a faster repair. OTOH, it could end up being a complete mystery and they may need to replace the unit anyway. Maybe the type and volume of metal point to an improperly prepped / shipped vehicle, and the list goes on.

To me, they’re going to want to be sure the fix they apply works. If you say “hey, just replace the trans already” - what if there is a whole unit component shortage? Do they make you wait for one to come available? or if there’s available spare parts and they believe they can effect a component level repair, try to convince you to accept that?

A lot of times it is not about dollars and cents, but a troubleshooter trying to apply the right fix. And to reiterate, the fact that only 1 person can green light the further resolution of the problem, IS an even bigger problem.

I’m hopeful it works out soon.

FFCars

Reaction score

Don't push them. Let them take their time. If it takes 20-30 days, so what? If you are unhappy, next year file a lemon law claim and get a 2018 or 2019 on Fords dime.

I suggest you document everything. All calls, dates, times, people, etc. It's likely your truck will be out of service more than 30 days. If not now, it may over the next few years. I assume you are in Idaho, so the law allows you to get a replacement if the truck is out of service for 30 days or more in the next 2 years.

I have a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali that had some issues. One issue took 22 days to fix. Over a 14 month period my truck was out more than 30 days, so even though I had 16,000 miles on it, I asked GM for a replacement. They sort of agreed, but wanted me to pay some. I filed a lemon law claim and within days they agreed to replace it with a 2017 for zero dollars. The truck has 18,000 miles now and my 2017 will be here next week. I couldn't be happier with the result of my documentation and filing the claim.

You might not need a lawyer, I didn't.

Here's the ID laws: http://www.ag.idaho.gov/publications/consumer/IdahoLemonLaw.pdf

Last edited:

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wwgman , you and I are in the same boat in regards to transmission repair issues. Ford Engineers are in control of the fate of mine and it's out of the dealers hands. They want to replace a Speed Sensor before trying to replace a module. Of course the Speed Sensor is back ordered and the module is readily available (dealer tech seems to think it's most likely the module). At this point I am no longer pushing the issue for a quick resolve. If the dealer has my truck until March 8th I will officially fall into CA Lemon-Law status. I believe this will give me more options. Not necessarily asking for a new truck (although that is an option), but asking for a new transmission and/or possible compensation, warranties, etc.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
@wwgman , you and I are in the same boat in regards to transmission repair issues. Ford Engineers are in control of the fate of mine and it's out of the dealers hands. They want to replace a Speed Sensor before trying to replace a module. Of course the Speed Sensor is back ordered and the module is readily available (dealer tech seems to think it's most likely the module). At this point I am no longer pushing the issue for a quick resolve. If the dealer has my truck until March 8th I will officially fall into CA Lemon-Law status. I believe this will give me more options. Not necessarily asking for a new truck (although that is an option), but asking for a new transmission and/or possible compensation, warranties, etc.

It is possible that they perform in house troubleshooting to drill down into what caused the problem. It’s not as cheap for them as trying to ID a specific component failure, but there does come a time when the manufacturer has to admit a defective part; that is, the transmission, rather than try to isolate which component has failed within the part.

sometimes component replacement is a faster fix, but ... it’s not really good customer service to hold a customer’s vehicle hostage while a failure analysis is done. F/A is a long process in most industries. Every industry has a threshold for patient and thorough analysis before customer escalation occurs. This is a new truck x2 with different brand new transmission issues that from the sound of things isn’t really being looked at as a ‘customer outage’. It has all the appearance of the same priority they would give a Fiesta buyer who had static on their radio. That’s very disappointing for a F/P vehicle and for something this expensive, should be handled with a truck load more care.

I agree with not losing your cool with the dealers, they appear to be advocating on your behalf pretty well but keep in mind that they are not your advocates, paid by you. They’re middle (wo)men. Sometimes you need to take a harder line with them than “oh, it’s going to take 3 months to fix, okay”.

Remember, the only one looking out for you, is you.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What annoys me most in these type of situations is Ford is basically using your truck to diagnose the issue and see if there is a much larger storm building. When you start looking up the amount of labor hours to pull a tranny, the techs time working on the problem, engineering working on the problem and the hassle for the customer, a new transmission becomes a cheap fix. Some manufacturers are better than others and they will pull the tranny and replace it and get you back on the road while they will then take that tranny and figure out what actually happened on their own time. I have broken my fair share of "unbreakable" parts that the manufacturer decided to diagnose why I had to wait for the repair so I feel your pain. It sucks but at least you have the lemon law options and the potential for compensation. Hopefully they get your truck finished up ASAP.