Transmission Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapijohn

Reaction score
Hi all,
Semi new guy on forum, never posted til now.
I have a 2021 Ford Raptor 33k miles never had a problem with it.
I went to the dealer to do an oil change and they suggested a transmission flush.
I drive my truck pretty hard so I figured it was a good idea so I gave the go ahead.
Was on my way to work the next morning and I look down to my gauges and see the transmission over heating. I pulled over let it cool contacted the dealer . Dealer picked it up looked at it and said it was fine .
Took it home and the next day in my way to worked it was fine.
Fast forward to today.
I’m driving and the transmission started heating up not like the first time but still.
I would greatfully appreciate advice on the matter please .

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont the flushes occur from the trans cooling lines? Maybe when they did that they didnt connect them right/caused a blockage.
I think FT1 (going off memory so could be wrong) mentioned not doing flushes as it could introduce contaminants in the system and just do a drain/filter change

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
they suggested a transmission flush
This kind of abnormal behavior is not uncommon after the “transmission flush”.

Of course, now, they’re going to deny any culpability, assert they do dozens per week and nobody ever complains and when you bring your truck in they will let it sit overnight, start it up, drive to the garage bay, see the temperature is fine, park it and report “unable to replicated customer concern”.

This cycle will repeat, maddeningly, until you give up in frustration or eventually break some hard parts.

Maybe this will help isolate and reproduce.
Under what conditions are you getting the transmission over heating?
ambient temps, coolant temp, driving conditions, how long into the drive, anything different about the drive.

if you can narrow down what’s making the transmission run hotter, you may be able to cajole a tech to test drive with you and force the replication.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never flush a tranny, GM has stopped that as a maintenance procedure due to all the issues it causes. Simple fact is they reuse and filter many transmission fluids with the same machine. The fluid in the machine is loaded with fluid with smaller particles than the filter will filter out. You are basically loading your tranny with fluid that is a slurry of partials smaller than 20 micron. drop the pan, change the filter and add new fluid from a sealed container. Do not ever use the flush machine.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level. If the level is incorrect, they can overheat and/vent fluid. The procedure to check the level is very specific; chances and they didn’t do it properly. The transmission fluid needs to be at 206-215 degrees F as verified with a scan tool, then the dipstick needs to be read and the level needs to be in the range specified by the service information. The dipsticks are used across various applications; if they filled it to the top of the dipstick it will be way overfill.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level. If the level is incorrect, they can overheat and/vent fluid. The procedure to check the level is very specific; chances and they didn’t do it properly. The transmission fluid needs to be at 206-215 degrees F as verified with a scan tool, then the dipstick needs to be read and the level needs to be in the range specified by the service information. The dipsticks are used across various applications; if they filled it to the top of the dipstick it will be way overfill.
out of curiosity, whats the procedure to getting to that temp range? Just letting it idle for 10 minutes or do they drive it around till it hits that?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a pain in the ass they caused you! I had a Volvo 2 years old with about 20,000 miles. While it was at the dealer for stereo warranty work they called me to suggest I flush the trans. When I asked why the trans would need ANYTHING with such low miles, I was told, "Because it has a turbo". I drove in and screamed at the idiots involved in this and nobody ever tried to pull that crap on me again. The service manager didn't have an answer when I asked him what the fu ck having a turbo has to do with transmission fluid and why Volvo recommends lifetime fluid unless there's an issue!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
What a pain in the ass they caused you! I had a Volvo 2 years old with about 20,000 miles. While it was at the dealer for stereo warranty work they called me to suggest I flush the trans. When I asked why the trans would need ANYTHING with such low miles, I was told, "Because it has a turbo". I drove in and screamed at the idiots involved in this and nobody ever tried to pull that crap on me again. The service manager didn't have an answer when I asked him what the fu ck having a turbo has to do with transmission fluid and why Volvo recommends lifetime fluid unless there's an issue!

By "drove in," do you mean in a chariot pulled by goats like in Ben-Hur? Because that would make me not want to call you either.