Trans Tuning COBB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
full disclosure, Cobb has offered to buy back my downpipes and intake. They are lighting my ap for the trans tune gratis. In exchange for the trans tuning, I've agreed to test it and provide feedback.

yes, I would not recommend the cobb intake in a really dusty environment or for desert runs. It is oiled. even though you can get a prefilter, the filter cakes very quickly and can foul an intake sensor if left uncleaned.

it works great for a mostly street driven truck and actually provides snappier throttle response than some others, but for the dirt, you need a dry filter.

I am a fan of the intakes that offer a donaldson filter option. (blue circular filter). I have to remove and shake the filter out every 500 dirt miles or so. ( which is a head and shoulders above anything else that I've tried, including the factory filter options)
Who makes this style? Anything for the gen2s? Those filters are the best as they are seen all over heavy industrial equip and on cool stuff like TT, 6100s, etc. Would love to upgrade to this style.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Who makes this style? Anything for the gen2s? Those filters are the best as they are seen all over heavy industrial equip and on cool stuff like TT, 6100s, etc. Would love to upgrade to this style.

the one I'm running is made by volant. They have 3 filter options, so make sure you pick the "100,000" mile filter.

I bring a spare with me on baja runs just in case it ends up getting super silty. I also make sure that im running a freshie as part of prep.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've been working with the Ford 6R80 and 10R80 for years through the Mustang. We developed the first ever software-based transbrake for both the 6R and 10R. We've also done extensive development into Porsche PDK, VW DSG, and GT-R TCM.

Gearhead and MPT are home to some great tuners, but that doesn't mean we haven't spent plenty of time with these transmissions either.

I actually wasn’t aware you did much w/ the mustang- more a Camaro/vette guy.

If you guys have been working on the 10R all along then why did you put out a raptor tune w/o tranny programming? TBH If COBBs tune offered tranny programming from the get go I would’ve given it a try since the options were limited a year ago.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I actually wasn’t aware you did much w/ the mustang- more a Camaro/vette guy.

If you guys have been working on the 10R all along then why did you put out a raptor tune w/o tranny programming? TBH If COBBs tune offered tranny programming from the get go I would’ve given it a try since the options were limited a year ago.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes besides actual tuning. The Raptor uses a separate module to control the transmission, where the Mustang uses a single module for engine and trans. Building up our software and hardware suite to support any new module is a very time consuming process, and ECU+TCM in the Raptor represented a doubling of effort to support compared to the Mustang and some other vehicles we tune. We did enough testing to prove that the stock transmission calibration was capable of holding the power/torque from our OTS maps (and pushed beyond OTS power as well), so we felt comfortable getting a product out in the market for ECU-only first. While it would have been nice to release both simultaneously, it is difficult from a business perspective to hold back a safely release-able product.

Side note - currently writing this from a 2020 Raptor on the dyno. Hoping to get support to market quickly!

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot going on behind the scenes besides actual tuning. The Raptor uses a separate module to control the transmission, where the Mustang uses a single module for engine and trans. Building up our software and hardware suite to support any new module is a very time consuming process, and ECU+TCM in the Raptor represented a doubling of effort to support compared to the Mustang and some other vehicles we tune. We did enough testing to prove that the stock transmission calibration was capable of holding the power/torque from our OTS maps (and pushed beyond OTS power as well), so we felt comfortable getting a product out in the market for ECU-only first. While it would have been nice to release both simultaneously, it is difficult from a business perspective to hold back a safely release-able product.

Side note - currently writing this from a 2020 Raptor on the dyno. Hoping to get support to market quickly!
2019 owner here, very interested in the ecu and Trans tuning when done.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2019 owner here, very interested in the ecu and Trans tuning when done.

The Cobb Accessport with transmission tuning is out! It launched about a week or two ago is ready to go. We've got plenty of Accessports in stock, ready to ship. Let us know if we can get you hooked up with one.