Trailer Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrichmond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

Found some slight rust around the inside trailer hitch area that's a tad flakey and being OCD with my truck, it bothers me. I sprayed the rusty parts with some black rustoleum but it's less than perfect. I would like to take the trailer hitch assembly off, has anyone done this? Is it connected to the bumper or can I just simply unbolt it ? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is connected to the bumper, before you take the bumper off make sure the lights and sensors are disconnected. There is a total of 6 bolts that need to be undone.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
jbrichmond,
Try using some chain wax...there are several manufacturers...Spectro, Maxima, etc. It's used on motocross chains, and when dry leaves a paraffin like coating that prevents rust and allows the receiver to slide in easier...
Eddie

OP
OP
jbrichmond

jbrichmond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is connected to the bumper, before you take the bumper off make sure the lights and sensors are disconnected. There is a total of 6 bolts that need to be undone.

It's a 2010, no sensors. Does that mean taillights are the only thing to disconnect? And is this a one man job?

jbrichmond,
Try using some chain wax...there are several manufacturers...Spectro, Maxima, etc. It's used on motocross chains, and when dry leaves a paraffin like coating that prevents rust and allows the receiver to slide in easier...
Eddie

Definitely useful advice, thanks Eddie!