Trading 2017 for a 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I think I will keep my 17 and wait for the Gen 3. My 17 has been trouble free so far (knock on wood) and I really enjoy it. I will look into extending the warranty a few more years and wait for the Gen 3. The responses on here and my dealer being stubborn on not giving in for a good deal, he will not budge on lowering the price on a 2020 Magnetic with 802A package for $74,000, has made my decision.

Excellent decision. Check Flood Ford for extended warranty pricing. The 3rd generation Raptor will be here before you know it. The coil spring rear end and new dash w/larger screen will be worth the wait.

Last edited:

Justtoph

Reaction score
I had a trouble free 2017 with 42K miles that I paid MSRP for in January 2017. I hated to get rid of it, but I got a deal I couldn't resist. I got a good trade in price for the 2017 and a 2020 for a little under invoice. I almost shit a brick when I looked on their website and saw how much they were asking for my 2017. But it was only on their lot for about a week.
Do you mind sharing what they gave you for your trade?

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent decision, check with Flood Ford for the extended warranty. The 3rd generation Raptor will be here before you know it. The coil spring rear end and new dash w/larger screen will be worth the wait. No more Deaver leaf spring upgrades!

Will be interesting to see the corresponding price increase and lack of any deals early on at a minimum for the Gen 3. I am sure the two upgrades you mention will be nice but not dealbreakers for most people. I think the OP made the right call since he has a low mileage 17, but I think now is the perfect time to buy for others. Don’t think there will deals like this again for a long time but who really knows.

Last edited:

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of you all crack me up,

1. none of you generally speaking will have this truck over 1-2 years same with the Gen 1 Raptors when they came out

2. Who cares if they have blue or orange shocks, I personally had my 2011s rebuilt every 50 thousand miles or so by Fox on their website since I had another set of take offs I used

3. The major depreciation is going to occur at 50 and 100 thousand miles, I literally lost 10 grand on not trading out of my Gen 1 at 100 thousand miles verses 140 thousand miles

I also have a 2016 Subaru STI with 18 inch wheels, they have made improvements to the car but I am not going out to trade it for the newest STI ever 2 years. It like the Raptors hold their value really well 10-15 years from now it will still be worth a good amount to the right buyer looking for one.

Bottom line, drive what you like and what you want. It should not matter if your truck has blue orange or red shocks underneath it. Someone will always be faster, have more money or always be trading up for the latest and greatest.

You do, you and nobody else.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing what they gave you for your trade?
I got $37,500 for my 2017 800A SCAB w/42K miles. I paid $51,910 (MSRP) in Jan 2017. They had it listed on their website for $44995 and it was gone within a week. I'm sure they didn't get that much for it, but still made a nice profit. I went there this morning to get the recall done on my 2020 and they were telling me how much the new owner loves that truck.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you upgrade to a SCREW or stay with a SCAB?
801A SCAB. I really wanted another 800A because I prefer cloth seats, but I had to get an 801A to get the tailgate applique. I had the tailgate applique on my 2017 800A, but it's no longer an option on a 800A. I thought about buying a tailgate shell and applique and getting the tailgate painted. But it would've been a real PITA so I decided I could live with heated leather seats.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
IMO You did the right decision - the Gen 3 will be worth the wait and even if you did upgrade to a 2020 you'd probably do it again when the Gen 3 became available. You may even want to cross shop with the *gasp* new Rebel TRX or Mojave also.

Saleen556

Reaction score
IMO You did the right decision - the Gen 3 will be worth the wait and even if you did upgrade to a 2020 you'd probably do it again when the Gen 3 became available. You may even want to cross shop with the *gasp* new Rebel TRX or Mojave also.

This is why I jumped in to a 20. Now I’m good until 22 or 23 after all the people with more money than brains get there’s. Then I’ll consider a Gen 3 or TRX.