Trading 2017 for a 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless the 17 is giving you issues, I would wait for the Gen 3/refreshed Raptor.

Extend the warranty, if those issues will worry you past the 3/36 bumper 2 bumper or 5/60 powertrain

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^Best financial advice and the 2020 is essentially the same truck minus the shocks. But, I understand when the new car itch is scratching. The only cure is a new vehicle in the garage.

I think you will regret the purchase after you start seeing generation 3 Raptors on the road in roughly 1.5 years.

Last edited:

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good time to get an aggressive deal. Dealers badly need to sell some things right now.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely a good time to get an aggressive deal. Dealers badly need to sell some things right now.

But on the flipside will he get top dollar trade in numbers? I agree now's the time to buy if you didn't have a trade in that they could lowball while offering you a "steal" of a selling price.

Can't imagine dealers will be giving good trade in values to used vehicles they may have to price lower than normal to sell. But that's just my opinion. Maybe some have done well in regards to trading in for a 19/20.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time magazine;

For the auto industry, which saw U.S. sales plunge almost 40% in March, the crisis has left cars gathering dust on dealer lots, dealerships shuttered, auction prices slipping and tens of thousands of workers laid off or furloughed.”

Wilmington, CA. Newly unloaded Nissans stacked up near the Long Beach port
CA73BF08-2A21-445A-A718-608E359504E3.jpeg

Last edited:

dirtgod

Reaction score
I have a 2017 and I can’t even imagine wanting to trade up. Mine has been flawless and the 2020’s are still almost identical.

Now when the Gen3 comes out in 2022 or 2023, that may be a different story.

^^^^^this. Same boat for me. My ‘17 has been perfect—and I have not babied it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 17 with 31k miles. I've got it modded the way I want it and have had zero issues. Looking forward to paying it off and no more payments. Not even considering trading. Just my opinion
I had a trouble free 2017 with 42K miles that I paid MSRP for in January 2017. I hated to get rid of it, but I got a deal I couldn't resist. I got a good trade in price for the 2017 and a 2020 for a little under invoice. I almost shit a brick when I looked on their website and saw how much they were asking for my 2017. But it was only on their lot for about a week.

OP
OP
Jorge

Jorge

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I think I will keep my 17 and wait for the Gen 3. My 17 has been trouble free so far (knock on wood) and I really enjoy it. I will look into extending the warranty a few more years and wait for the Gen 3. The responses on here and my dealer being stubborn on not giving in for a good deal, he will not budge on lowering the price on a 2020 Magnetic with 802A package for $74,000, has made my decision.

Moridin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I think I will keep my 17 and wait for the Gen 3.

Oh you can't be serious... Once you go Live Valve Shocks, you'll never go back.

Do not let anybody tell you otherwise, but at Raptor meet-ups the first thing Gen 2'ers do is check to see if the shocks are blue or orange.

Blue? ****... Orange? It's secret handshake time and inside jokes that the blue-shocked chowderheads could only hope to understand.

Think carefully on your decision, my friend...