Trade-in Lowball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Looking for something a bit cheaper so I can either build a project car or airplane.

2. Still want 4WD

3. Used to have a TJ years back and really liked it.

4. Raptor won't fit on many trails here in FL.

As far as price for the jeep...
I am getting 1% below invoice per the treadlightly membership discount. I am sure this is the reason they are lowballing me. If I can get them at 43k, I may just do it.

1) Cool. Project vehicles are always fun.

2) Yep, makes sense.

3) Understood. I had 2 wranglers (a TJ and YJ) before the Raptor. They are in two very different classes.

4) Raptors dont fit on many trails in every state! :wink: I got plenty of pinstriping to prove it!

5) Wranglers hold there value very well, not as good as Raptors, but better than most vehicles out there.

My only recurring complaint about Wranglers....They are very underpowered.

I think if they offered a V8 option in the Wrangler, they would sell as many as they made...:Hump:

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did get up and walk out, I was nice about it...

Salesman just sent me and email wanting me to call him. I think I will wait a couple days and let him sweat it out.

Wait a day, then call back. Dont forget, your Raptor is a very sought after vehicle. Its holding its value extremely well. In fact, its worth more then it did new. Dont give in and let them know what its worth.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of picking up the new Wrangler Rubicon X. Was thinking about trading my 2012 scab in. I have every option but front facing camera, 19,700 miles on it and they offered me 40k....? WTF?

KBB put is around 46k for "good" condition, and my truck is immaculate. Anyone else had this experience?

Here's my take - it's worth what you're paying for it.

1. They're low balling you.
2. Buy the Jeep where you can get the best price.
3. You don't need to mix the vehicles in the same deal.
4. Sell the Raptor for the best price you can get for it.
5. If you don't own the Raptor you'll have to wait about 2 weeks (maybe more or less) before you get the difference assuming you owe less than you'll sell it for.
6. You can buy the Jeep with a check and ask them to hold the check until you get the money for your Raptor (if you don't want to use the money you have).
7. Sell the Raptor where you can get the best price for it.
8. The offer you got is NOT the best price.
9. You may need to go to California to sell the truck.
10. Have you bothered to try and sell it yourself?
11. $46,000 sounds like a fair price to the buyer. Much higher than that and someone will probably just go buy brand new.
12. Your truck will sell for more than the $40,000 they're offering you
13. How much do you WANT for it? Once you know that you can drive it around to dealers asking $2,000 more than that. But...
14. Don't tell them how much you want for it - have them appraise it. Then they'll low ball you and then you can start negotiating using the number you want as your lowest price.
15. Try selling it yourself on this forum. On the F150 forums. On AutoTrader.com and definitely take it to Ford dealers.

I know Raptor owners who have sold their trucks at very good prices to Ford dealers. You can do it too.

Good luck!

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ford dealers love these trucks used. As long as they still have the factory warranty remaining they can certify it used and extend the factory warranty out further thus making it more appealing to people. When they do this they can sell them for close to the MSRP of a brand new Raptor. I would definitely go about trying to see if a Ford dealer wants your truck before you take $40K for yours.

The Outrage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kelly Blue Book states the average value a vehicle is listed for by dealerships. This number is almost always well above what the average sale price of the vehicle is. If the dealership were to place your previously owned Raptor on their lot, it would likely be listed around $46,000. I'd estimate the actual sale price would likely be around $42,000. The Rubicon X, being sold below invoice, is likely earning the dealership next to no profit. The profit is being made in the sale of the trade in vehicle.

For comparison purposes, when I entered your Raptor's attributes into Edmunds' appraisal tool, the estimated trade in value is $39,600. This includes a rather sizable $1,500 modifier for "Outstanding" condition. Edmunds collects the average sale prices of vehicles rather than the average listing prices.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the dealership were to place your previously owned Raptor on their lot, it would likely be listed around $46,000. I'd estimate the actual sale price would likely be around $42,000.

You know what they say about estimates...

...everybody has one.

Too many variables to say what it will sell for. That's why he needs to get it where there's the most demand for it like in the southwest (CA, AZ, NV, etc.).

A new Raptor is $56,000+ and if his is in excellent shape with all options and with low miles it could sell for $46,000. And that's my estimate :party36: