Trade-in Lowball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juicehead

Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of picking up the new Wrangler Rubicon X. Was thinking about trading my 2012 scab in. I have every option but front facing camera, 19,700 miles on it and they offered me 40k....? WTF?

KBB put is around 46k for "good" condition, and my truck is immaculate. Anyone else had this experience?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might be a little low, but they need to sell it and make money, so as trade in I would expect it lower than KBB. I say they left room to negotiate.

They will probably make more on your truck than they would selling you a JK

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trade ins are a tricky thing, in my area taxes are 13% so if they gave me 40K for the Raptor I would save $5200 off the tax on the Jeep.
So if you sell your truck to Ford and buy the Jeep with cash you will be paying more tax.

Last edited:

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you got to realize the dealer needs to make money.. He is probably offering the jeep cheap so you get low balled on the trade. in the long run the Jeep value will drop like a rock at first then level out. The Raptors are holding strong numbers. In the end the less you pay for the Jeep and the less you get for the Raptor means less sales tax, and lower registration cost. If it were me try to get the Jeep about 10 grand lower and take 10 grand less on your trade... That's 10 Grand less you have to pay taxes on... IMHO...

13_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try Carmax too if you have one closeby. I have them give me more than dealers. I very seldom get KBB values from a dealer. They don't use KBB.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you got to realize the dealer needs to make money.. He is probably offering the jeep cheap so you get low balled on the trade. in the long run the Jeep value will drop like a rock at first then level out. The Raptors are holding strong numbers. In the end the less you pay for the Jeep and the less you get for the Raptor means less sales tax, and lower registration cost. If it were me try to get the Jeep about 10 grand lower and take 10 grand less on your trade... That's 10 Grand less you have to pay taxes on... IMHO...

You will still be paying the same amount of tax, the tax is only on the amount not covered by the trade.