2018 Lightning Blue Country Boy Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased this 2018 Raptor basically on a whim when my wife talked me into stopping by our local dealer that had this one and a black one. I had been trying to purchase a CPO E63 AMG over the internet but literally had three sold out from under me within that week. I had looked at Raptors many times but just thought they were rather expensive for a truck smaller than a F350-F”X”50 which I had always wanted for a project truck, but my 5’-3” wife wouldn’t go for those monster sized trucks for some reason lol.

I’m more into raw power and torque than off reading in a truck but did grow up riding what trails are around me here in Southwestern Kentucky. There are just about as many mud holes and mud runs as there are buggy/full size vehicle trails so the Raptor wasn’t at the top of my list because I’ll rarely be able to take it off road without taking a family trip (which was one condition I had to confirm with the wife would happen if purchased it).

So my needs in a new vehicle were power(or ability for power adders), room for the family (wife and 3 children, rather nice interior, tech comforts, and loads of aftermarket R&D/suppliers. It was far from an E63 in the power category but that was the only box I was a little disappointed about.

When we pulled up to the dealer after hours just for me to look at the trucks and their equipped packages the dealership owner insisted that his manager let us have the keys to check them out. (We are good customers there and know each other so wasn’t surprised they were trying to make a sale on a weekend night while being closed lol).

To my surprise both trucks were basically fully loaded minus the graphics which I didn’t want anyway. The black one had the Beadlock wheels which I wanted and the blue one had the standard wheels. I didn’t want another black vehicle and I really liked the blue to be honest. When I got into the truck for the first time I was surprised how well they made it more in line with a luxury finished interior than anything else. It could have been better of course but for an off road purposefully designed truck it’s better than it could be; although, it could also be a lot better with a makeover from a good shop which might come in time.

My impressions were rather good but the $72k price tag was still hard to swallow considering how much power/torque I’d be giving up to the E63 (if I could ever even get one) the wife fell in love and basically said, “quit chasing the car that might pop up anywhere from California to New York. You can see, feel, and test drive this”. I could see it in her eyes and hear it in her voice that she really wanted me to get the truck so I told her if she felt comfortable driving it then I would be fine with it too. She hopped up into the drivers seat and took it for a spin grinning the entire time. So that is how I became a Raptor owner. A quick stop on the way home “just for me to look at them for her” that turned into buying it at MSRP no budging by the dealer.

Sorry for the long winded intro but just had to set the stage of how I ended up with the truck. I’ve always owned some sort of truck since I was 16 but wasn’t planning on owning a Raptor by any stretch of the imagination during my search for the perfect CPO E63 AMG. We live out in the country and our family has a couple of farms. I am in the real estate/property investment market (or to put it bluntly a Landlord) so trucks and trailers are a must for me. I’m also hitting the big “40” this year so a big luxury car with extreme power for some fun when the itch needed to be scratched was sounding like a great idea. Oh well, next vehicle it shall be lol.

Just for kicks- Mod #1

My first mod being that I had to buy plate screws lol.

59CAFCF2-667B-4A3A-BD39-4D723244B020.jpeg

On to my plans as of today. I want the truck to sit higher for sure, how much higher I don’t really know just yet. There aren’t any trails for high RPM, turbo spooling, air catching fun within hundreds of miles from me that I’m aware of right now. I could be wrong and hope that I am so that can take some trips that won’t require more than a weekend.

With that in mind I figure starting out with Deaver +3s along with a set of FOX Racing 3.0 front and rear upgrades will allow me to run 37s without going all out at once. I was leaning towards King shocks but got a freakin’ great deal on the Fox set that I couldn’t pass up.

Fenders and Bedsides really look great on our trucks but I’m not familiar with how the Bedsides go on yet so waiting on them until I understand how a bedcover will work once they are in place. Any and all help with these would be greatly appreciated as I need to have a water proof bed cover for sure. I’ve been told by another member that once the new bedsides are on having Line-X spray the top rails is all that is needed. I just need to see it I guess because I don’t understand how that will work.

I also want to have fender liners especially in the front but don’t know how to go about that.

Keeping the gas door is something I want which Robby Woods carbon fenders have so hope extending the tubing isn’t a big deal.

Mod #2 Ceramic Coating by Felix. https://m.facebook.com/detailsbyfelixofmurray/

This was a must for me since didn’t want a wrap. He did a great job! What a difference it makes. This was my first experience with it.

506638E4-FDDF-4A2A-8710-DBF2EB554211.jpeg 540CCAFE-2F2C-4F88-B339-91F435832903.jpeg

Mod #3 Window tint of coarse lol

Pics to come

Added clear expel to the black panels on the doors to avoid constantly scratching them.

Next couple mods will be to mount the Fox shocks and Deavers, Baja front bumper, SVC IC (unless someone sways me to a different brand), BOV, SVC adjustable bump kit with Fox bump, tinted rear bed light/third brake light cover with bright LEDs (I hate that huge shiny clear light cover), wheels and 37s.

Front coil overs pics. Rears are still boxed up but pics to come.

FBC6B696-17A6-494E-A47A-95F7A84C2B3E.jpeg

That list will take a little while and give me time to research the Fenders and Bedsides along with more suspension upgrades.

ADD BAJA BUMPERS VS SVC BAJA BUMPERS

Any and all input is welcome regarding these would be great! ADD Pro has room for 20” light bar. SVC Smurf bumper doesn’t have a dedicated light mounting location. SVC Baja bumper has space for 30” light. ADD says their plate comes in black where SVC there is a choice of raw or black. I’m not really that concerned with either plate option but there are pros and cons with it being raw or black. The SVC Smurf also says it protects the BOV but the others don’t claim that even though they could. I’ll talk with them about that.

Well that’s a good start for now and wish COBB would come on with their tuning so I can get an idea of which direction I may go for power and drivetrain mods. Lower half build up is in the back of my mind but not sure just yet.

Bests
Alex

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an order in with @svc

Deaver +3
SVC adjustable bump kit with Fox bumps
SVC Baja Bumper
SVC Intercooler

Still trying to figure out what I’m going to do about wheels. I really like the idea of powder coating the factory wheels black but would need to use spacers so not the best solution I don’t guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I don’t know if this has been done to a Raptor or not but I’m really leaning towards powder coating my Deavers, Coils, and some random other parts of the Fox suspension “Fox Orange”.

Deaver is offering powder coating as a protection option so instead of just having them coated black there I could take them to my guy that’s going to be doing all my other stuff here and add some flare to them as well.

I need to look into ceramic coating powder real quick after posting this just to make sure there aren’t any issues with protecting the powder with ceramic. If ceramic doesn’t do well with powder (which I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just fine) I’ll go from there lol.

We have salt on the roads between one and two dozen times during the winter so protection is needed for sure. And with the solar minimum talks we might be in for more extreme winters so I’m going to be prepared in some way, either with a little color added into the mix or not.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i dont know that I'd have someone else powder the springs. I'm no metallugist, but I'd be worried that they'd crank up the heat in the oven and screw up the spring rates. plus orange leaf springs arent my taste.

I will say that even in Louisiana, without the powder coat, the paint on the springs is flaking.

I don't particularly care, as the only time someone other than me should be looking at them is if the truck is upside down, or 20 feet in the air, and in either case, I'll have much bigger problems.