Traction Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we started off talking about a lack of traction so it would seem logical to use what you paid for with 4wd. If it's so wet out that you are spinning the tires, I don't see an issue with using 4-Hi.

I really don't know what the transfer case situation is. If it's locked and there's no differential at all, then yeah, avoid using it on dry pavement like the manual suggests but in a low traction situation, what's the problem?

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
remember tires are designed to have good traction even on the wet. I think if you caused the front and rear to bind in a corner, you could make the situation way worse. It could cause you to understeer a lot or cause the back end to kick out unexpectedly.

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've got dry pavement warnings plastered all over the manual.

If it's so slippery out that you boil the rear tires without trying, then I just don't see any significant bind ocurring. I've been on wet pavement that was a whole lot more slick than dry dirt...

I wasn't suggesting that every time the streets are wet you should use 4wd but if I'm in a traction limited situation, I'll use the 4wd I paid for before I sit there and roast a tire doing a one wheel peel.

Hell, guys are using 4-hi at the drag strip...

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
They've got dry pavement warnings plastered all over the manual.

If it's so slippery out that you boil the rear tires without trying, then I just don't see any significant bind ocurring. I've been on wet pavement that was a whole lot more slick than dry dirt...

I wasn't suggesting that every time the streets are wet you should use 4wd but if I'm in a traction limited situation, I'll use the 4wd I paid for before I sit there and roast a tire doing a one wheel peel.

Hell, guys are using 4-hi at the drag strip...

Ah, but they go straight on a strip. If its bad and for whatever reason your traction control isn't taking care of any wheel slip, put it in 4hi, but take it out in any parking lots or hard turns.

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure.

I wasn't assuming he was having problems with traction while he was parking!

I've used it at stoplights when I want to get a jump on someone in the rain but put it back in 2wd when I'm done accelerating.

I figure it's a decent time to exercise the system so I don't get offroad very often.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
People will surprise you. Theres a lot of dumb ones out there. Obama believes he has a better chance of reelection now than he originally had in 08'! That says it all right there.

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just run it in 4-Hi when it's that wet out. Good chance to keep all that shit lubed anyway.

There are no hubs, so everything is turning regardless. Just a matter of power being sent to the front or not. Just FYI...