Traction control and locked differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
genus727

genus727

Reaction score
Yep, switching modes on the transfer case will reset the traction control to default. Locking or unlocking the rear will not reset your current mode settings. You're going to want to put her in Off Road Mode (can only be done at 5mph or less) and long press (10ish seconds) the AdvanceTrac button (can only work if at 35mph or less). Doing this in 2h or 4h, rear locked or not will command it to use off road shift points and the off road throttle map, as well as totally disable the AdvanceTrac features. It will also put the ABS system into off road mode (not totally turned off, but much less sensitive. To totally turn it off, you need to pull the ABS fuse).

If you're in off road mode, that locker should stay locked up to 100mph.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. In my original post I should have mentioned that I am in Off-Road Mode.

In summary, I guess all I have to do is switch into off-road mode, then 4H, then long-press traction control disable, then pull knob to engage locked differential.

That helps a lot. I got embarrassed my first time out, not realizing that traction control is re-enabled when going from 2H to 4H. I tried to climb a big sand dune in front of some onlookers, but TC took over and cut engine power halfway up the climb. I had to perform the reverse downhill coast of shame. D'oh. Lesson learned.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 2010 is the only truck that truly fully disables. Even if you get the flash in a 2011+ it still won't let you do a doughnut or anything.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Now you have all gone and done it! I have to tryand FIND my ford supplied Off Road pamplet that came with my screw to see if ANY of us know what the **** we are telling each other! AHahahaa. More later. I am old, don't do a lot of off road shit. I do know that at the TRR last April I spent most of my time in 4 H, no traction control. I do not know if the anti lock brakes were on or off but I do know the truck hauls ASS, drives great, steers supurbly, drifts, hooks up and flys in that mode. Flinging the rear, drifting happens when ya haul ass.

Now I do know I smoked my front brake pads. I tend to hammer and brake late. Same way on bikes. Works for me. Maybe my stigmatizum? HAhahaaa. Had major **** poor braking compared to before the run. Had Stealer R & R front brakes and bleed the system. Been fine ever since. Off to read my pamplete. I SWEAR the diff Lock is only 20 mph and under regardless of mode.

BDRAG