Traction control and locked differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genus727

Reaction score
When I take my Raptor (2010 6.2L) out the sand I noticed that getting the traction control to give up it's reigns is kind of a pain in the butt. Every time I switch between 2x4 and 4x4 it re-engages the traction control. Is this a "feature"? Finally, when I pull the 4x4 knob to lock the rear differential I can semi-disengage the traction control with a single button press, but if I try and do a complete disable (5-second press) nothing happens (no chime or traction control icon flashing). Is there a way to fully disengage the traction control when the rear differential is locked?

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Rear diff is only locked up to 20 mph anyway. I only have the traction control re engage when I turn off the key. You using off road mode?

BDRAG

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I take my Raptor (2010 6.2L) out the sand I noticed that getting the traction control to give up it's reigns is kind of a pain in the butt. Every time I switch between 2x4 and 4x4 it re-engages the traction control. Is this a "feature"?
Yep, switching modes on the transfer case will reset the traction control to default. Locking or unlocking the rear will not reset your current mode settings.
Finally, when I pull the 4x4 knob to lock the rear differential I can semi-disengage the traction control with a single button press, but if I try and do a complete disable (5-second press) nothing happens (no chime or traction control icon flashing). Is there a way to fully disengage the traction control when the rear differential is locked?
You're going to want to put her in Off Road Mode (can only be done at 5mph or less) and long press (10ish seconds) the AdvanceTrac button (can only work if at 35mph or less). Doing this in 2h or 4h, rear locked or not will command it to use off road shift points and the off road throttle map, as well as totally disable the AdvanceTrac features. It will also put the ABS system into off road mode (not totally turned off, but much less sensitive. To totally turn it off, you need to pull the ABS fuse).

Rear diff is only locked up to 20 mph anyway. I only have the traction control re engage when I turn off the key. You using off road mode?

BDRAG
If you're in off road mode, that locker should stay locked up to 100mph.

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
What I've found in my truck is that in ORM/4Hi/rear locked mode I cant completely disable TC. Only get to sport mode. I've held that button down for a solid 30 sec with no luck. If the rear isn't locked and its just ORM/4H then it'll turn off just fine. I don't really understand that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That does sound familiar aaron. Turn it totally off before locking the rear, then lock the rear and it will stay totally off.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Good call J! I will give that a shot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even with tc off and offroad mode, i was losing power trying to do doughnuts in the mud..... about 3/4 of the way into a complete circle, the motor was still revving high, but the wheels didnt spin