TPMS for spare.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of (5) wheels/tires for my truck. I've only got (4) TPMS sensors installed and I'm wondering if I can install one in the spare as well because I plan on rotating the spare into the mix regularly. Will the ECU pick up the 5th sensor or will I have to just retrain each time I rotate? If so, should I just buy the activation tool?

In addition, I was able to do it without the tool on my 2014 by entering the training mode and letting air out of each tire in order to reset/relearn. I tried the same method last night on my 2019 and although I could enter the learning mode it didn't acknowledge by letting air out. Is there another way or do I actually need the tool?

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll carry 2 spares w/TPMS in my bed rack and they don't get picked up. I also just rotated my tires and it picked up the spares that I rotated in right away without having to retrain.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll carry 2 spares w/TPMS in my bed rack and they don't get picked up. I also just rotated my tires and it picked up the spares that I rotated in right away without having to retrain.

Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply! So I guess when I rotate it will pick up location as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought this TPMS sensor from amazon for $21
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHL1L72/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I also bought this tool to relearn for $26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FKSNUI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Paid a shop $20 to install the TPMS in my spare. I found out after the fact, you don't need to tool to relearn the new sensor. the truck will pick up the new TPMS on it's own.

Every time I rotate all 5 wheels now, it takes the truck about 5 miles of driving and everything gets sorted out on it's own. The spare in the bed gets does not get picked up. The sensors are near the brakes. Wheels show up in correct place in dash gauge. no need for the tool, or to enter training mode.

My next rotation will put my original spare back under the bed where it came from the factory. @ 15,*** miles, my tires are in great shape, and still very quiet. Can't recomend a 5 tire rotation enough.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought this TPMS sensor from amazon for $21
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHL1L72/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I also bought this tool to relearn for $26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FKSNUI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Paid a shop $20 to install the TPMS in my spare. I found out after the fact, you don't need to tool to relearn the new sensor. the truck will pick up the new TPMS on it's own.

Every time I rotate all 5 wheels now, it takes the truck about 5 miles of driving and everything gets sorted out on it's own. The spare in the bed gets does not get picked up. The sensors are near the brakes. Wheels show up in correct place in dash gauge. no need for the tool, or to enter training mode.

My next rotation will put my original spare back under the bed where it came from the factory. @ 15,*** miles, my tires are in great shape, and still very quiet. Can't recomend a 5 tire rotation enough.

Thanks. So my truck didn’t pick up the four new sensors last night. I can bring it to the shop or buy the tool... which do you suggest? I’ll add in the 5th one once I get it installed.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive it. Some times it can take a little longer.

Then it is up to you. If the shop will charge more then $26 bucks, buy the tool. nice to have one just in case. Assuming you bought the correct TPMS sensor. I bought the Ford ones because there were reports of the Chinese ones not always working.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How long did you drive it for after you installed the new TMPS?

Thanks. So my truck didn’t pick up the four new sensors last night. I can bring it to the shop or buy the tool... which do you suggest? I’ll add in the 5th one once I get it installed.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The way the TPMS sensors work genius. There is no battery in the device. Instead, when you drive, the centrifugal force in the sensor powers some sort of little generator that creates enough electrical energy for it to talk to the truck. Brand new ones, or ones that have been deployed as a spare and not spinning for a while, take longer to build up enough power. If they are not good by 20 miles in the dash....then you need the tool or shop.

OP
OP
19RaptorPB

19RaptorPB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve gone about 23 miles so I guess I’ll just get the tool. I never want to rely on the shop for anything. They’ll do it for free since I had them mount/balance them but I think the $21 would be worth having it. Thanks for the info.