GEN 2 Toyo RT problems on the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned 35" Toyo RTs on my Raptor for about 3 months with 2 total trips out to the desert and on both trips, the tires have bubbled on the sidewall.

The first time it happened, i was doing about 80 on a smooth dirt road at around 22psi. I'm not 100% sure what part of the trail it happened on. I did hit a small jump at speed and that might've possibly caused the sidewall to bubble on the front driver side tire. I paid for the replacement at the time.

I went on another trip this past weekend where I didn't hit any jumps at all and probably only got as high as maybe 50mph at around 24psi. I did have to crawl over some very small rocks on the road when i pulled in to camp but this time the bubble i noticed on my rear passenger tire is probably twice as big.

I'm pretty frustrated with Toyo's product as it does not seem to be able to keep up and bubbled on both the trips i've been on. I've ran a variety of BFG/Nitto tires on my previous trucks and pushed them way harder than i've pushed these toyos with no issues.

It's safe to say that i'll never run Toyo off road tires ever again, especially on the Raptor. I jumped the Raptor about 8x on the stock wheel/tires and put them through probably 10x the abuse I've put on the Toyos and the K02s gave me 0 problems

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.37.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.37.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.37.45 PM.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Day. Um.

I had a tire like that once. It made it 7 or 8 miles and ... kaBOOM.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call me crazy but with that scuff on your wheel right below the bubble, it looks like it has compressed all the way to the wheel and you've hit the bead. Maybe they were aired down a little too far or maybe the Toyo's don't like that. I've never owned a pair but that looks suspicious.

Either way kinda pathetic.

OP
OP
t4arghhh

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy but with that scuff on your wheel right below the bubble, it looks like it has compressed all the way to the wheel and you've hit the bead. Maybe they were aired down a little too far or maybe the Toyo's don't like that. I've never owned a pair but that looks suspicious.

Either way kinda pathetic.

It really is. I have pushed the paces on the Raptor as well as my other Toyotas at a variety of tire pressures on different tires and this is embarassing to say the least that these tires can't take this level of "abuse" and its labeled as an OFF ROAD tire. I'm not sitting here rock crawling or jumping the Raptor 8ft in the air. This was 100% fireroads, aired down, rolling into camp on a trail a bone stock 2wd-ANYTHING could do

D

Deleted member 17706

I've owned 35" Toyo RTs on my Raptor for about 3 months with 2 total trips out to the desert and on both trips, the tires have bubbled on the sidewall.

The first time it happened, i was doing about 80 on a smooth dirt road at around 22psi. I'm not 100% sure what part of the trail it happened on. I did hit a small jump at speed and that might've possibly caused the sidewall to bubble on the front driver side tire. I paid for the replacement at the time.

I went on another trip this past weekend where I didn't hit any jumps at all and probably only got as high as maybe 50mph at around 24psi. I did have to crawl over some very small rocks on the road when i pulled in to camp but this time the bubble i noticed on my rear passenger tire is probably twice as big.

I'm pretty frustrated with Toyo's product as it does not seem to be able to keep up and bubbled on both the trips i've been on. I've ran a variety of BFG/Nitto tires on my previous trucks and pushed them way harder than i've pushed these toyos with no issues.

It's safe to say that i'll never run Toyo off road tires ever again, especially on the Raptor. I jumped the Raptor about 8x on the stock wheel/tires and put them through probably 10x the abuse I've put on the Toyos and the K02s gave me 0 problems

View attachment 157485

View attachment 157486

View attachment 157487

BFG makes the best DOT and non-DOT off-road tires out there period. When you go to Baja and other places, people who have not been bought and/or have financial ties to other companies will tell you that BFG is the best. People on here are always giving BFGs crap because they are loud, or they don’t have the best wet traction, but they perform plain and simple. I have been all over North America (Arctic Circle, Baja, Florida, with many cross country trips) and never seen/heard someone have a problem with their BFGs. I wouldn’t run anything else.

I love your build by the way. Those silver rims look fire on the magnetic metallic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really is. I have pushed the paces on the Raptor as well as my other Toyotas at a variety of tire pressures on different tires and this is embarassing to say the least that these tires can't take this level of "abuse" and its labeled as an OFF ROAD tire. I'm not sitting here rock crawling or jumping the Raptor 8ft in the air. This was 100% fireroads, aired down, rolling into camp on a trail a bone stock 2wd-ANYTHING could do

Based on that comment, no need to air down to 22-24 psi then.

OP
OP
t4arghhh

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on that comment, no need to air down to 22-24 psi then.

Absolutely agreed, but the ride comfort of rolling down a fireroad at 38 psi vs 22psi is a comfort thing. There is no excuse that the tire should fail the way it did at 38 psi or 22psi

OP
OP
t4arghhh

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG makes the best DOT and non-DOT off-road tires out there period. When you go to Baja and other places, people who have not been bought and/or have financial ties to other companies will tell you that BFG is the best. People on here are always giving BFGs crap because they are loud, or they don’t have the best wet traction, but they perform plain and simple. I have been all over North America (Arctic Circle, Baja, Florida, with many cross country trips) and never seen/heard someone have a problem with their BFGs. I wouldn’t run anything else.

I love your build by the way. Those silver rims look fire on the magnetic metallic.

I thought the Toyo RTs would be a upgrade due to it being a E load tire but you are right - BFGs are great. I'm talking to Toyo to replace them under warranty and i'll give them 1 more shot but if they do this one more time, im ditching it for something on the BFG lineup.

Thanks by the way! I'm actually wrapping the truck satin black soon and will go away from the metallic. Hoping it still looks just as good

GT3_Bill

Reaction score
I thought the Toyo RTs would be a upgrade due to it being a E load tire but you are right - BFGs are great. I'm talking to Toyo to replace them under warranty and i'll give them 1 more shot but if they do this one more time, im ditching it for something on the BFG lineup.

Thanks by the way! I'm actually wrapping the truck satin black soon and will go away from the metallic. Hoping it still looks just as good
Sounds like this might be your problem. E range tires are stiff but also misleading. They won’t squat as much as a C when you air them down, so you have this illusion they are adequately inflated.

Did you also run the BFG at 22psi?