GEN 2 Toyo RT problems on the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the hybrids and get a set of real off-road tires. I'm running Yokohama Geolander G003s, and they are the best tire I've ever run off-road, even better than the BFG KM3s IMO, and quieter.

OP
OP
t4arghhh

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input (and arguing hahaha)..

To put things in context:

1st time it bubbled: 22psi at 80mph on a ultra smooth dirt road. I did this same jump at at the same psi EIGHT TIMES on stock K02s back to back on 2 trips. 0 issues. I did that jump ONCE with TOYO RTs and it bubbled.

2nd time it bubbled: different fire road going about 50mph max. Some small rocks here and there but nothing that you would feel through your spine. I've hit this same trail in my old 5th gen 4runner on Nitto Ridge Grapplers so this is nothing a Raptor on Toyo RTs cant breeze through.

I agree with some: this HAS to be a bad batch because these tires can't possibly be that weak to bubble this easily. Toyo told me to take it back to where I bought it for inspection and have them contact Toyo directly for a replacement. I'm going to give these tires one more shot but if they bubble for a third time, i'll get that one replaced under warranty as well and sell the tires and never look back.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T4arghhh,

Sorry to read of your misfortune as tires aren’t cheap. I am not negating possibility of a faulty tire, but,...

This is how I understand tire pressure for different types of off-roading:

—Low tire pressure and low speeds go together to provide more tire contact patch for rock crawling, slick rock such as Moab, etc., at a slow/leisurely pace.
—The clear downside of lower tire pressure is that the sidewall is more exposed/vulnerable to cuts and being pinched/damaged by unexpected impacts. Air is extremely compressible and lower pressure can/will smash the sidewall against the rim.
—Driving at a fairly high speed (50mph) where unexpected impacts may occur at speed (rocks, jumps, etc.) requires enough pressure to protect the sidewall (and rim).

Without pulling out my slide rule, a nearly 3 ton vehicle at 50mph, hitting a rock or jumping (where the force is concentrated on a small area)—creates a massive amount of concentrated force on a very small point—especially if that one tire touched down first or encountered the softball sized rock at the edge.

My assessment is that you’ve been fortunate to not have had this occur in the past with other tires. If you run 22psi off-road at higher speeds (yes 50mph) often enough with a BFG, Toyo, Goodyear, Falken, Nitto, Cooper, General, or any tire—I predict that you’ll eventually encounter the same issue again regardless of quality tire brand.

Once you get this sorted, I recommend you run a higher pressure if at speed off-road. Good luck, and I hope you don’t have this occur again.

D

Deleted member 17706

I’m well aware of airing down and how tires function. Slow your roll kid, you have no idea what experiences people here have and who you’re talking down to.

When I ran projects on a lot more hardcore truck than a Raptor we kept them around 35, and that was on a 37” tire.

So yes, most will tell you if you’re pinching the tire against the wheel, your pressure is too low.

Run them at 30 and I’d bet this problem goes away, and the truck doesn’t feel nearly as washy in the corners.

I asked you a question after you misread his post. It wasn’t talking down to you. Much less I didn’t try to belittle you by calling you a kid (twice). Also, I didn’t say anything about a lower tire pressure giving you added suspension travel—it simply helps with the ride comfort and the tire being able to absorb the energy from impacts.

He said his top speed was 50 mph. And when he did reach some small rocks, he CRAWLED over them—he didn’t say he bombed through them. I wouldn’t run 22 PSI at 80 mph, but 24 PSI on a fire road with a top speed of 50 mph, while also slowing down to crawl over some rocks is not the unpardonable sin that your trying to make it to be.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Three people have pointed this out, but the OP hasn't really engaged, so ... :beatdeadhorse5:

The rim is scuffed/bruised. SOMETHING bad happened that no tire in the world is going to like.

OP
OP
t4arghhh

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three people have pointed this out, but the OP hasn't really engaged, so ... :beatdeadhorse5:

The rim is scuffed/bruised. SOMETHING bad happened that no tire in the world is going to like.

I'm not afraid to say i beat my truck haha.

I'm also not afraid to say that I've done a lot worse with my K02s (repeatedly) from the factory and i've posted a photo of my truck nose-dive landing on the K02s showing the tire collapse in and take it. I'm comparing a C load tire with more fold vs a E load tire hence why i'm considering the switch away from the E-load tire as a possibility.

This isn't my first off-road truck and while tires can only take so much abuse, the Toyos seem to not be able to take the slightest hint of abuse - THAT is my complaint about these. If i were to drive my truck out constantly and beat them and they failed...EVENTUALLY, no sweat! you play hard, you pay hard. This isnt the case with the Toyos so im hoping its just a bad batch

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C and E are just "ply rating" but not actual plys. Both BFG and Toyo RT use a 3 ply sidewall. Not to say that BFG may or may not have stronger sidewalls but they're both 3 plys. The bubbles can happen to any tire though. I had a customer with a duramax who had his BFG's bubble on a road trip. I think it's more a MFGR defect than a design failure.

From the looks of the damage on the wheel something was hit pretty hard.

View attachment 157509
View attachment 157510
image-jpeg.jpg
image-jpeg.jpg

The damage to this BFG is run flat damage (run with too law air pressure for too long). You can see the heat ring around the tire, its a sign the tire is basically falling apart because there wasn't enough air in it.

OP's damage is 100% an impact break, not running enough pressure for the tire to handle whatever he hit, you can see the impact on wheel. Sometimes this will happen even running proper pressure if you a hit big enough rock or something hard enough. If you're going to be going faster than 25-30mph (IE not rock crawling) or you're not in the sand dunes, keep tire pressures around 30-35.