Towing Reviews ONLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘19 Raptor, completely stock suspension. Towed my ‘21 ft. Robalo Center Console, dual axle Trailer, approx. 300 lbs. tongue weight, and around 5,000 lbs. total weight. Absolutely no problems at all. Longest tow was about 120 miles round trip.

OP
OP
Raptornador

Raptornador

Reaction score
1-What is the weight you are towing?---6k travel trailer
2-approximate tongue weight---600lb
3-What additional payload are you carrying. , 250lb dirt bike, two honda gens, about 10g in fuel

What is your setup?
A- Are you stock--- yes. No motor work 2018 Rator, I do have a aftermarket alum skid
B-Type of front suspension mod if any?--- Fox factory 3.0
C-Type of Rear suspension (deaver part number/designation or Icon, misc)this also includes any shock work---ICON 1" leaf. 3.0 Factory fox
D- anything else that might aid in towing or when not towing.--- I think it's call blue ox WDH

Ride quality without towing is better than stock but not a stark difference while on road. Offroad is a whole new ball game. Aired down tho 25 ish it is flat out crazy good over stock and I thought stock was great.

Towing showed some squat but it pretty much leveled the truck. I did measure it but forgot the numbers. There is no issue towing reasonable weights with a Raptor, quite the contrary. I still wouldnt go over max but up to max, yup!

OP
OP
Raptornador

Raptornador

Reaction score
1-What is the weight you are towing? = A 7300lbs Travel trailer and a 6000lbs pontoon boat
2-approximate tongue weight ? = 900lbs
3-What additional payload are you carrying? = 740lbs of tools and supplies

What is your setup?

A- are you stock? = 2023 Raptor 37" package with 4 Geiser springs and Air lift Airbags
B-Type of front suspension mod if any? = Geiser springs
C-Type of Rear suspension (deaver part number/designation or Icon, misc)this also includes any shock work
D- anything else that might aid in towing or when not towing. = The B&W Continum weight distribution Hitch on the RV.

We just did 4000 miles to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, & California, with the Raptor & RV. It was awesome !!
The thing was solid, the 37" tire did great. Found myself pushing 75mph a few time out there where the speed limit is 80mph, didn't feel the trailer back there at all. went up and over several 7000 foot elevation passes coming home on Hwy 50 through Nevada, NO Problem at all. Well except for the 7mpg average towing. I'm sure I could have gotten better MPGs if I slowed down a bit. The best part about this is having the Raptor to drive around and take on the epic trails out there.

FYI I have been towing trailers almost all my life. Farming, Ranching, and 1.7 million miles in my Peterbilt. We also have a F450 with a 41' Landmark RV with about 50k on it. so I say I have some towing experience. LOL
It's THE reason I went Raptor. I thought about a 2500 but what fun would that be on the trail?? Plus I knew I wasnt towing heavy. Raptor is the perfect rig for what the wife and I want to do.

mobob

Reaction score
My 2 cents, stay with 35s if your towing .... I feel huge difference pulling Skeeter FXR21 with 37s vs. 35s.
What Differences? Just Curious, I haven't pulled my Ranger z520c with my new 37 more than a couple miles. They should pull similar...

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Differences? Just Curious, I haven't pulled my Ranger z520c with my new 37 more than a couple miles. They should pull similar...
Im curious as well. Final drive at the tires would be higher, and aren't the 37s narrower slightly?

Turbro

Reaction score
1- 6500lbs camper, Grand Design 2400BH wide body
2-700lbs
3-extra propane. 2x honda 2000watt generators, tools, offroad gear mattrax, 4 rotopax, fire wood, 4 bicycles

What is your setup?

A- No, not stock
B-Type of front suspension mod if any? SVC collars to adjust front for rear sag.
C-SVC bump stops, +4HD Deavers, Forged Off road shock rebuild
D- aftermarket thermostat (a must) for the 90+ degree mountain climbs, goose tune tow tune. 35" Toyo At3 E load rating on 20's. A sin around here. But it is/was bought for towing the camper and some offroading. WD hitch is another a must.

Are you happy with your rigs setup when towing? Not just ride quality but how it sits sag wise
Are you happy with your rigs ride quality when not towing? Is it too harsh on and off road?

Tows great, not a superduty (had 2) but towed through 50mph winds in AZ mountains. It's always windy in the Sierras. Have ~10k miles towing in the last 2 years. It did sag, but I've adjusted the front collars to level out when loaded up for a 2 week trip.

Without weight in the bed it is a bit stiff. I plan to convert the Raptor to more of an offroad toy this year. Family has out grown a truck. Bought a Navigator to tow and long family trips. So with extra spare tires and a rack etc I plan on adding, I think it will ride better with that weight in it. And yes 35's on 17's that I already have.

When I push it offroad it's much smoother. I wanted to prove you can tow with the Raptor and did it with 10k towing miles. I reversed engineered why Raptors are frowned upon for towing and changed the components (rear springs) to accomplish that. Didn't want to do airbags.
I will still tow with it. Nothing like towing a nice camper to near an offroad spot for the week/weekend, unhitch, lower tire pressure and go. Especially Pismo Beach.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 raptor with full race radiator, transmission cooler, cooler thermostat, and Svc front mount intercooler. As for suspension I have Svc bumpstops, I’m upgrading my deaver +3 to deaver HD +4 leafs, it has geiser springs on the front with 37” Mickey Thompson Baja boss at tires. I got a little crazy and ordered an Ember 240 tkr toy hauler. Trailer weight is 6800 and has a payload capacity of 3k. I only plan on loading up bicycles, kayaks, and a Pitbike. I will also be using a curt trunion weight distribution hitch. I’m hoping that my truck will be able to tow this trailer!!! I know I won’t be happy with a f250.

Attachments

• 70500998779__2F97B35D-1488-4992-B27E-5D9D1ADA6637.jpeg
    70500998779__2F97B35D-1488-4992-B27E-5D9D1ADA6637.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bite too but everything I say here and then some is in several other threads.

2022 Gen 3 with 1214# payload
Andersen WD hitch (6 threads showing)
Air Lift 1000 bags (27 psi)

2023 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DSFLX camper
7' wide, 10' 3" tall, 22' 6" total length
Around 5,000# depending on trip
Around 625# tongue weight depending on trip
50 to 200 pounds in truck bed depending on the trip

Tows great with no sag. Only negative is the need to be sure not to put too much weight in the truck to avoid exceeding payload. I bought my Raptor knowing this would be a consideration and gladly accept this to have a Raptor as my vehicle for exploring once the trailer is set up in camp. I also purposely bought a camper with relatively small dimensions to avoid issues on windy days. I would not be comfortable towing anything heavier or physically much larger. The Raptor will easily tow heavier and larger but it will exceed payload and be a handful on a windy day at highway speeds. My 2 cents anyway.
Super stoked I found this thread!

I assume the bags help quite a bit to stop the squat? How’s the ride without a trailer/payload?

dfw62

Reaction score
Super stoked I found this thread!

I assume the bags help quite a bit to stop the squat? How’s the ride without a trailer/payload?
Bags completely eliminate the squat.

With the recommended 5psi in the bags with no added load on the truck it feels the same to me as it did prior to installing the bags. This comment is based on street driving and modest dirt roads. I do not do any extreme off road driving so can’t comment on if the bags would have any negative impact in that regard.

G3Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bags completely eliminate the squat.

With the recommended 5psi in the bags with no added load on the truck it feels the same to me as it did prior to installing the bags. This comment is based on street driving and modest dirt roads. I do not do any extreme off road driving so can’t comment on if the bags would have any negative impact in that regard.
That’s good context. Most of my driving is on road as well. Love the feeling of the live valves and want to keep it that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter