Towing a large boat with the gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCM

Reaction score
No doubt the F250 will tow better, but for only towing a couple of times a year the Raptor will do just fine. Here’s mine with around 7000 lbs. It did much better than I expected. No issues with power or braking. There is some sag, but less than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_6508.jpeg
    IMG_6508.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 85

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an F350 King Ranch 2wd with the 6.7 power stroke diesel. Loved loved loved it. 8ft bed and towing capacity to do just about anything. Looked awesome too. 2015 model so not the newest or baddest but man she was awesome.
Go F250/F350 power stroke Diesel. It's just a better engine, especially if you do the delete and tune. Owned it 5years and all I ever did was oil changes and both fuel filters every 10k miles. Sold it for more than what I paid for it after 5 years.
Cons: I couldn't park it at the airport garage, ride was bumpy with the 19.5" weld racing wheels and commercial road tires, and I just loved my Gen1 boosted raptor more even if I don't tow anything with it or use the bed because it's even smaller with my chase rack in it ‍♂️. She's sexy tho lol
I use the wives 3.5 ecoboost expedition with 10k towing capacity to tow the boat and race car on trailer with zero problems or effort.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routinely tow a 21’ boat with the Raptor. With my Gen2 it squatted enough that I would sometimes get flashed for headlights at night. My Gen3 seems a little better plus the headlights are improved. The Raptor had no issues with power or stability towing, including one time when the rear axle on the tandem trailer broke loose due to a failed leaf spring- the stability control on the truck handled it great and got me safely parked on the roadside.

tractorman

Reaction score
I tow a 21' Thunderjet Alexis on a tandem axle trailer with my Gen 2 for local tows, 5 miles to the river, or 40 miles to the lake. The boat weighs about 4500 lbs, plus gear and the trailer. The Raptor handles it just fine with a little squat. I also have a 2021 F250 SuperDuty 6.7 Tremor that I use for towing equipment trailers that are often 10-15k lbs loaded. The F250 is a much better tow rig for serious towing or very frequent towing, but the Raptor seems to do fine with under 7k lbs and occasional use. Just hauling a relatively light boat on occasion? You are good to go on the Raptor.

Bashby

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going back and forth on which truck to buy as well. We ended up getting a Gen3 37 package in Jan. and the truck pulls our Mastercraft XT 25 with no issues. I have not done anything more than pull the boat from our place in Havasu to the boat ramp about 3-4 miles, but plenty of power and very little squat with the GEN3. I added a JB tune last month for the added torque and for the power around town.

Go raptor if you’re not going to be doing long hauls. Much better ride daily around town.
Brandon

rrbarrios14

Reaction score
2023 Keywest 263FS with 29’ LOA and I can feel that big boy behind my raptor. Pulled from Savannah to Daytona beach in the pouring rain and was white knuckles the whole way. FYI, only 20gal of fuel in boat and empty fresh water tank. Notable sag in suspension. Got highbeams flashed at me quite often. As for the power, no issues at all. Trans temp stayed cool. But the raptor knows it’s pulling more then it weighs.

Attachments

• IMG_3640.jpeg
    IMG_3640.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 60

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you look into the trx? I feel like the raptor is slightly lacking in power when I’m towing my boat so I think I will go with a trx…more power but still the fun and maneuverability factor. Thoughts? I hate to leave ford but it seems like it’s the best of both worlds for my situation. Thoughts?
My thought is you’ll die a horrible painful death in a ball of fire in the event you even get into a minor head on collision. Dead serious.