Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transfer case checked out okay, but the brand new front diff grenaded again. Picture below. null_zps80c2a876.jpg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The IWE only have a 1/4" of interface with the splines on the axle. This system works fine (sort of for street queens) and no front torsen. The metal on the locking collar is considerably softer than axles. When Ford/borg warner designed them the IWE acts like a drive train fuse to keep from destroying the differential. Up until 2012 they didn't have the override (wearing of locking collar). SVT is aware of issue and the upgraded IWE caused ring gear and pinion damage. So it was decided it is cheaper to replace IWE verses ring and pinion.
It is a ****** system and never should have been installed in the Raptor.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

LvDel

Reaction score
Had similar issue - fixed myself

I was using a custom tune on my Raptor, a 91 octane performance tune. IWE would make loud bangs and pops right after 4 wheel high shift (driving about 8th of a mile) Decided to try to set back to stock tune as I figured the change in gearing might be causing additional strain on the hubs, I was right, as the issue completely went away.

I'm curious how many of you are/were using a custom tune on their Raptor? I will be a lot of you are/were!

Am I wrong? Reply and let me know because again, this did fix my issue. These custom tunes (the one i was using) did in fact put way too much torque/pressure on the truck. Again, chime in!

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you might be onto something I just pulled the tume from mine and the noise went away

Sent from my S4

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using a custom tune on my Raptor, a 91 octane performance tune. IWE would make loud bangs and pops right after 4 wheel high shift (driving about 8th of a mile) Decided to try to set back to stock tune as I figured the change in gearing might be causing additional strain on the hubs, I was right, as the issue completely went away.

I'm curious how many of you are/were using a custom tune on their Raptor? I will be a lot of you are/were!

Am I wrong? Reply and let me know because again, this did fix my issue. These custom tunes (the one i was using) did in fact put way too much torque/pressure on the truck. Again, chime in!

Would using the off road mode with the custom tune help if that is indeed part of the problem . I think it reduces (evens out) throttle response.