Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was using a custom tune on my Raptor, a 91 octane performance tune. IWE would make loud bangs and pops right after 4 wheel high shift (driving about 8th of a mile) Decided to try to set back to stock tune as I figured the change in gearing might be causing additional strain on the hubs, I was right, as the issue completely went away.

I'm curious how many of you are/were using a custom tune on their Raptor? I will be a lot of you are/were!

Am I wrong? Reply and let me know because again, this did fix my issue. These custom tunes (the one i was using) did in fact put way too much torque/pressure on the truck. Again, chime in!

I don't think that is the issue. Just a coincidence.
I just started running a tune this summer, and had issues before as well as after.... starting to think it's user error, hahaha

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep wondering . . how many people engage, "In-Out" of 4 WD under a 'No Load' condition.
Engaging Not under acceleration and Not under deceleration and give 'time' for engagement or disengagement.

I'm thinkin' - 'hookin' & borin' coupled with impatience starts the 'breaking process'
Not saying that the system could not be a better design.
Just saying that it is not a design for . . "Cowboy Action"

Which ultimately means - it should not be on the Raptor.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was broken, I still had issues with it even after permanently engaging the hubs/coming to a complete stop to shift to 4wd. Now even "fixed" I've had it pop out completely twice while turning.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you hold the iwe in your hand and inspect it ,looks like it belongs on a go cart . The plastic piece that surrounds the teeth looks particularly flimsy. It is a manufactures point of failure part . I have not seen a replacement part for it ,really the whole system needs to dropped and redone. I engage that 4 wheel drive system like it is made of glass. The first vendor here that comes up with reasonable solution will be a folk hero. It is built to save the splines so warranty would go down the tubes.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this systemic across the fleet of 2012 13/14 , how many guys out there that DONT HAVE ANY ISSUES with theirs?

I would really like yo know if this is something that will eventually happen on ALL torsen front ends....if so I don't want the headache and will probably not purchase one until the new one comes out in 16.

I use 4wd up here in montana a lot in the winter and when off reading in the summer in my Superduty. That truck I can count on. I need to count on this Raptor TO WORK WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO!

If those owners who are in and out of 4wd a lot would chime in it would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

When you hold the iwe in your hand and inspect it ,looks like it belongs on a go cart . The plastic piece that surrounds the teeth looks particularly flimsy. It is a manufactures point of failure part . I have not seen a replacement part for it ,really the whole system needs to dropped and redone. I engage that 4 wheel drive system like it is made of glass. The first vendor here that comes up with reasonable solution will be a folk hero. It is built to save the splines so warranty would go down the tubes.

Picture of the part please!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I put on 4 raptor events this year and 2 last year. Within those 6 events I had 220 trucks attend. Let's assume 30% were 12s/13s so 66 trucks wheeling hard for a weekend. I can recall 1 IWE failure.

Not saying it isn't an issue but I think that statistic speaks volumes. Just like anything else on the Internet. You only hear about the people having problems.

Is this systemic across the fleet of 2012 13/14 , how many guys out there that DONT HAVE ANY ISSUES with theirs?

I would really like yo know if this is something that will eventually happen on ALL torsen front ends....if so I don't want the headache and will probably not purchase one until the new one comes out in 16.

I use 4wd up here in montana a lot in the winter and when off reading in the summer in my Superduty. That truck I can count on. I need to count on this Raptor TO WORK WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO!

If those owners who are in and out of 4wd a lot would chime in it would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Picture of the part please!

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My late build 2013 has popped since day 1 about 15% of the time it is in 4WD.

Mid-Perch and usually when the 4WD was engaged at idle and im climbing a sandy hill or somewhere where there is a lot of load on the system. It seems if I back off the throttle fully the IWE seats itself properly again and the popping noise goes away.

Happens with or without my tune also.

If I give the system a bit of time to engage at speed and tap the throttle on / off a few times I never have an issue *knock on wood*

Really annoying to have that happen in what is marketed as a bulletproof offroader

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies, keep them comming!

I know each truck has its issues and weak design points. My F350 has its idosycrocies as well when working the auto hubs in and out. But I TRUST it. I guess thats because weve been together since 1999!