Torque Application - HP and torque #s - accuracy opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
Anyone using the Torque application and can speak to how accurate the HP and Torque numbers it presents are?

I was diddling with the app over the weekend and realized it would estimate HP and Torque numbers, I've never dyno'd my truck so I have no real feeling fro how accurate the numbers are.

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on my C63 it was pretty close, not exact, but close..... what does the JDM tune say you should be at?

OP
OP
Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
I recognize the results will be different, I'm really trying to get a feel for what hp might be available....after driving with the tune for a couple of weeks, it seems like this is how the truck always drove, but I know that isn't the case.

So if my Torque numbers say360hp at the wheels, assuming 18% driveline loss, seeing 360 is a little low for stock motor/numbers. For me to get 400 at the wheels the tune should be giving me about 500hp at the crank.

So if the torque numbers are typically WAY off, then i won't stress them. but if they are within a few % then I can use them as a fair baseline.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Again, Torque Pro App only displays what the PCM is giving out.

18% is a little hard to believe for a 4x4 with automatic transmission and big ass 35" tires.

A Gen 1 drivetrain loss is around 33%
Advertised HP is 411HP at the crank, posted real dyno numbers 317 at the wheel. (third gear on the 6 speed)

A Gen II's advertised HP is 450HP at the crank
I have no idea what the baseline HP at the wheel is and in what gear the pull is done. (on a 10 speed)

OP
OP
Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we are talking past each other or what.
Torque app calculates WHP, the PCM doesn't have that information, that's why you need vehicle mass. At it's most simple HP = mass * acceleration of car * current speed. I don't know if Torque uses that formula or not, it certainly has access to the accelerometers, and speed sensors and we give it mass.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The PCM needs to generate and have this info to operate the vehicle,
Throttle, Torque, HP, Shifting, etc..is part of the torque management control built into the 2 software segments of the PCM. (ecu and tcm)
I've played with the weight, engine size in vehicle profile but nothing changes.
I was skeptical at first too.
Until I read a lot off the forums threads at: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

So, what ever PID's are active in the Torque Pro App are in green, are the ones that the app can display.

This is using the Track Recorder add-in

This was the first video I made 7years ago, using the cheap dongle and an old phone.
At that time both at the crank and at the wheels were available.
At time marker 2:44, I ran my first full pull with the app.
725HP at the crank is not bad for the stage 1 Whipple

Last edited: