Top perch/methods 2013. PICS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ejlmoney

Reaction score
My dealer told me Ford has actually issued a formal warning to dealers NOT to take 2013 models to top perch otherwise risk damaging front CV joints.
Perhaps, dealer employees can confirm?

He suggested mid perch was fine.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealer told me Ford has actually issued a formal warning to dealers NOT to take 2013 models to top perch otherwise risk damaging front CV joints.
Perhaps, dealer employees can confirm?

He suggested mid perch was fine.

Yes, there is a tsb that came out for 2012 that was generic and just basically Ford Raptor suspension is not adjustable.

Several of us know from first hand experience that top perch is a no go on Raptors with Torsen front diff.

-Greg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what mods would be necessary to safely run top perch on a 2013?

Currently, if you are running stock Fox shocks at top perch and stock upper control arm. You can upgrade to RCV axles and it will solve the issue.

BUT if you have if have upgraded shocks or upper control arms that allows more droop. Then you CAN NOT run RCV axles because they WILL bind at full droop at inner CV.. RCV is aware of this issue and they are looking into it.

-Greg

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First time I heard this, I cant imagine that they would bind worse then oem CV's, could they?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First time I heard this, I cant imagine that they would bind worse then oem CV's, could they?

Brd o pry tried to install RCV axles in his truck..
" I had jack stands under frame and with suspension hanging at full drop they bound up and I could not turn them even with a bar on the studs. If I jacked the lower arm up about an inch and a half then it would turn freely, any lower than that it would bind. So if you have 4wd engaged and get air you will tear something up. I checked and made sure they were seated in diff all the way and everything."

I believe he is running ICON shocks and UCA, he can correct me if I am incorrect.. This issue just came up within the last 14 days. He is the one who contacted RCV about issue, and will be able to add more information.

So, the reason you are just NOW hearing about it is because we just found out about it, and what is causing it.

-Greg

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange I thought they were designed not to bind at angles?

It is the RCV inner cv joint only has 28 degrees range of articulation and outer has 45 degrees. So with stock droop it is fine because of 25 degrees, but once you increase droop you hit 30 degrees and the inner cv binds..

-Greg

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys have me completely torn! I'm waiting on my 2013 SCAB to arrive, and had planned to move to mid perch immeditaely. I hate the ass up look, and need more front end clearance when I'm off road...which is rarely (hunting season). I want a clean, level look. From everything I'm reading here, it sounds like top perch would be the way to go since I'm not "off-raod" all that often. Having said that, getting this truck could certainly change how often I'm in the mud!

Go mid perch! Some parking spots my truck looks dead level, other parking spots it looks a tad raked. I'll happily take a slight rake, over a nose high look where it looks like 1,000 lbs of concrete is in the bed and the truck is struggling. I know thats the baja style look some like, but east coast it's just not the style lol.

Mid perch will look great.