To air down or to not air down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
37" BFG KO2s = 36 +/- OD
8.5" x 17" SVT Bead lock wheels

38 - 40 PSI Hot - Towing & not towing - Majority of dirt roads, Light snow and pavement.
10-15 Hot - Sand, mud and snow more than 10"
Works well accept for clay type mud which I blame on the tire design - They weren't made for that type of utilization.

My Boat weighs 7000 +/- Lbs with gear and people

Sgt Beavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've stopped airing down. There are two reasons to do so, traction and comfort. I'm not crawling my Raptor. The biggest obstacles I'm climbing over are about a foot tall. If the terrain is wet, then I might air down since the K02s are ATs and not MTs.

When it comes to comfort, I played around the different modes and found that if I'm in 4H, I should just leave the driving mode in Comfort. I will go to Baja if I'm going to go faster than 20mph on a trail. I have yet to have a real need for the crawl mode.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Toyo 35x12.5r17 AT2's which call for 55 psi for street pressure to match the factory according their load index. I run 42psi on the street, air down to 28-30 hot for offroad, and 18 for sand dunes.

If its sshort offroad trip (like, a just a few miles to go shooting or something) or a smoth gravel road, I don't bother with airing down.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 in the front & 28 in the rear (wanted a more firm steer feel) -Gen1 down in Baja. A lot of guys were going down to 25 or lower, I personally was not comfortable with that cause although you have the occasional sandy wash's & soft hill climbs (which the truck did just fine) the next thing you know you're sliding around turns throttle steering and hitting straightaways doing 80 to 100 and that's not cool on aired down tires! My Gen 2 has only been local wheeling around like at King Of Hammers which I did not air down at all and no problems.

IgnitedSoul

Reaction score
FWIW, I got back from Raptor Assault about a week ago, and they had the truck I used set up around 28 in the front and 30 in the rear, and that was used all day on everything from crawling to highway out to the trails and back. The guys at the racing school said their tire guy decided to go lower in the front than the rear now, whereas I heard that classes from a while ago were running a little higher in the front.