To air down or to not air down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cooper Howe

Reaction score
Should you air down your tires on dirt/gravel roads while off-roading?

If so what PSI should I run at with the stock tires and wheels?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it all depends on your comfort level and how rough the road is. i usually dont air down unless im in sand, but in rocky stuff dropping 8-10 psi would be a smoother ride

XLandrJP

Reaction score
Gravel and dirts roads, with wash boarding and ruts. Bone stock including tires.

30 PSI Good
25 PSI BAD! The compression and rebound of the tire is out of phase with the shocks frequently.

38 PSI BEST! Surprisingly.

Several 20mi runs on same trail.

I’ve been airing down for rock crawling, too...but I think I’m going to try 38PSI for that soon. I’m suspecting the added tire height will help with clearance and angles.

For reference, I would typically air down my JK to 14PSI on 37s. And that was superior in all driving modes. I’m surprised by the Raptor and lower PSI not working well. Counterintuitive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Never heard of airing down causing issues with shocks, new one there.

On my GEN1, I air down to 36 so the TPMS light doesn’t come on and if I do get a flat, I will know right away.

But I have aired down to 25 rear / 28 front when off-roading with no issues. Just be aware when taking corners fast so you don’t de-bead.

On my GEN2, I aired down to 27/30 and had no issues.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always air down off road and I have not noticed any problems with my shocks on my 19. I highly recommend it. Depending on the conditions and speed somewhere between 14 and 20 psi. I am lightly loaded and a Scab. On road 35/32.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else has said, it just depends on how rocky the road is, how long I'm going to be on it, and what level of comfort I'm looking for. If it's just a gravel road, I wont bother.